Thread: Can this saw be saved?

Can this saw be saved?

I picked up a couple of flea market saws. One is an Atkins that I think will clean up and sharpen nicely. Then there's this one that I'm not sure how to deal with. Based on the medallion, I think it is also an Atkins, but it's a medallion I've not seen before. Sorry the picture isn't in focus, but I think you can make it out. I think "Sheffield" at the top refers to the Sheffield Saw Works, which I think was just the name of the Atkins plant in Indianapolis. I've seen other Atkins saws with "Sheffield" in the etch. It doesn't have the usual triple-A Atkins tradmark, but rather an A inside a shield. Is that maybe an earlier Atkins mark?

Anyway, regardless of who made it, it's the concave curve that I'm asking about. I assume that it was caused by repeated sharpening. It looks like a lot of work to straighten out, and I'm not quite sure how to deal with the section at the heel that has no teeth. Should I even bother with this? If so, any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michael Ray Smith

If you can find a local saw sharpener the best chance might be to have them retooth it. That would at least get it back to a consistent tooth size and arch. I had a similar concave (not quite as severe) in a Disston paneling saw and retoothing it brought it right back to shape. Saved me many hours of labor vs doing it by hand with files.

I would scribe a line where the tooth line should be, then score it and snap it. If you cut it with a Dremel be careful of the heat drawing the temper. Filing in new teeth for a few inches won't be so bad.
    Have fun.
    Paul