Thread: Looking for a toolbox design or pics

Looking for a toolbox design or pics

I want to build a wood toolbox. I vaguely remember an article in an old Taunton publication, way before the Toolbox Book. It was briefcase size/shape (not a chest), enclosed, the top 2/3 or so of the front panel hinged open, utilitarian not display quality. Don't remember if there was a drawer in the bottom or not. Can anyone help with plans or pics? I haven't read the Toolbox Book, so if it's in there, my apologies.

Is this the kind of thing?

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/h...oolbox1940.pdf

There are any number of variations on this theme: size, proportion, material, complexity of construction etc.

One thing to remember when making a toolbox, especially a portable one, is that when populated they can get really quite heavy quite quickly.

This is something I have not remembered more than once.

CH
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 07-17-2012 at 2:01 AM.

Rick, are you looking for a place to permanently store tools or just a way to carry certain ones around? If the later, I love the open tote design that Roy Underhill featured in the The Woodwrights Workbook. I use mine quite often.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 07-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I made Tom Fidgen's design for a cabinet maker's toolbox.

Made to the material thickness recommended, it was nearly 8 pounds without any tools.
    If you're intention is to carry a toolbox to jobsites, lighter materials like pine might be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Caspar Hauser View Post
    Thanks Caspar, the article I saw had pics and a build commentary, but this is pretty much the one I was thinking about. Way less complicated than I thought. Thanks Zach and Jim too.

I'd have to check, but I think there's a plan somewhat akin to that in the Toolbox book as well. Even if you've only a passing interest, it's a great book to have. It certainly gave me a lot of ideas. It's been around long enough that I've found it at a lot of local libraries.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
    Thanks Caspar, the article I saw had pics and a build commentary, but this is pretty much the one I was thinking about. Way less complicated than I thought. Thanks Zach and Jim too.
    Thanks to Joshua too.

The one i made for my daughter's slowly growing set of hand tools last summer grew from Roy Underhill's plans. Final outside dimensions are 32"W x 16"T and 10"D. At that size it's not that portable, but will hold a good basic set of hand tools.

Rodney

Rodney, that's really nice, but I'm confused because it looks like two different tool boxes. Where are the plans from?

Thanks,

Steve

It's the same box. The first shot is the box still under construction. I came up with it after seeing the box from Roy Underhill. The bottom drawer is for her planes as we acquire them. It's about 3" deep so it will be able to hold up to a full sized jointer plane. My daughter likes the old Stanleys. The intent is to eventually have a #7 or 8, a #5, a #3 and a couple block planes. So far she has the #3 and the blocks. We just got her a #5 that needs some work before it goes in. The lid has a saw till for 4 saws. The 32" length was arrived at because I wanted the full sized hand saws to fit. So far she has a rip and crosscut, the other two slots will be for a couple backsaws. The other dimensions are just to keep things somewhat proportional and to fit the available space. The two knobs above the bottom drawer pull out for the upper lid to rest on when it's open.
    The box is currently resting under her lathe, a 1940s Dunlap we rebuilt a couple years ago. We turned the knobs using her lathe.The box is recycled fir with maple fronts on the inside drawers. The saw till and knobs inside are mahogany, the outside knobs are maple.
    We're still deciding on a finish.
    The best advise I can give is to design your box around the tools you intend to keep in it. This box will hold most tools but doesn't have space for a full sized carpenter's square.
    Rodney

Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 07-20-2012 at 9:18 PM.

I like it, too bad I didn't see that before I built my daughter's. On the other hand, we still don't have all her tools so hers needs to be a bit more adaptable to fit what we find.
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stroupe View Post
    Thanks Bob, I like that one too, very similar to the first link Caspar has. I know why they have the front open up, but I would have it open down.

And to Zach, I'll carry this around in conditions that may get fairly unpleasant so a closed box will be best.