Thread: LED Lighting

LED Lighting

I’m building a 1700’s reproduction corner cabinet out of walnut. My wife wants cabinet lighting installed, so I guess it will be an updated period piece. The shelving is solid walnut and is only 3/4” thick, and the cabinet is closed with a 15 light door. To keep the heat at a minimum, I’m thinking about using LED lighting versus some of the higher heat lighting.
    I’ve never installed cabinet lighting, so would appreciate any help. In regards to installation, and since the shelving is triangular, I thought I would surface mount the LED lights (they appear to be small circular pucks) and route a shallow trough to the back of the shelf and drill a hole to access the back of the cabinet. I was thinking about covering up the trough with a thin piece of walnut and hot melt glue it in place so it can be removed later on if need be. I have to install 5 lights, as there are five of the shelves that are in the “presentation” area of the cabinet. Is there a better way?

As far as a lighting source, I came across one source where the lights are only 5/16” tall; I could even drill a hole with a forstner bit and make the lights near flush to the under surface of the shelves. They also have a dimmer switch, which would be an added benefit. The downside is that they are over $40 per light. Are there any recommended sources that someone has used? Thanks for your help.

I installed some LED strip light under my kitchen cabinets. They don't put off much heat but the transformer on the power plug get a little warm. We have had them around four years and they burn 24 --7. They don't seem to attract bugs as much as regular lights. I got mine off E-bay and don't remember the cost but I don't think it was outrageous. I am pleased with the one we got.
    Fred