Thread: Can you?: Increasing Jet JJP-12HH DC connection from 4" to 6"???

Question Can you?: Increasing Jet JJP-12HH DC connection from 4" to 6"???

Has anyone here found a way to increase to DC connection on Jet's 12" Jointer/Planer combo from 4" to 6"? I'm planning a Clearvue setup with 6" mains and don't want to lose the energy associated with necking down to 4", especially since the design of the dust hood requires a longer-than-normal run of flex as it is.

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I've thought about it and don't see a way, you'd pretty much have to redesign the entire hood. My experience is 6" flex with a 6" X 4" reducer right at the hood does a very good job.

I have a 6" trunk line then about 3-4' of relatively smooth bore 4" hose. I think a 6" hose would be unwieldy when switching modes. And you really can't get away from having a good bit of hose for changeovers.

Edit: but I see Curt has done 6" so obviously not the problem I would have envisioned.

I haven't found a need to open the port to 6". I used to have 6" flex going to 4" right at the port. I didn't find that was necessary either. Now I just go 4" straight to the port. If you can do 6" flex, that's best. I had to change my setup and can't do 6" anymore because of physical constraints.

my jointer/planer has 120mm so i made an adapter to fit inside the 6" flex and slip on the 120mm hood fitting.

When I changed my woodmaster 718 to a 6" flange, there was not a area 6" wide where I could replace the 4" outlet with 6", so I used a piece of 6" pipe about a foot long, and just flattened it the one direction to 4". Then marked the oval shaped end over the old dust hole, and cut it out to fit and welded it on. It still takes about the same area as a 6" pipe.

Don't know about the Jet, but I was able to build a new attachment to my Laguna to enlarge it to 6".
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan,

Would you please post pictures of what you did?

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Neeley; 07-28-2012 at 6:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Alan,

Would you please post pictures of what you did?

Jim
    Sure.

Just took a quick picture off my cell phone's memory. Here's what it looked like before I took off the masking tape and cauked the joints:

6 inch DC Modification for Laguna Jointer for web.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Interesting, Alan...

Thank you!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I have a 6" trunk line then about 3-4' of relatively smooth bore 4" hose. I think a 6" hose would be unwieldy when switching modes. And you really can't get away from having a good bit of hose for changeovers.

Edit: but I see Curt has done 6" so obviously not the problem I would have envisioned.
    I have everthing on wheels so have a 10' length of 6" flex hose with a 'site-engineered' quick disconnect. My biggest concern was keeping the hose out of the planer outfeed path. I put an adjustable 4" HVAC elbow on the Jet hood so can have the discharge up when planing - drape the hose over the raised jointer beds - and down and off to the side when jointing. Not a perfect solution but it works. I wanted to stay with 6" hose if possible to offset loss of flow due to corrugated hose vs. smooth pipe. I figured a 6" flex hose would move about as much air as 4" smooth straight pipe.
    J-P.JPGJP6.JPG

Thanks, Curt..

Quick disconnect to prevent hose kinking during changeover.. sounds great to me. I've even got a couple of 6" QDs for my existing Jet 1100 DC I can re-purpose when I go CV stationary. I like the re-purposing idea.