Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-roof Gazebo with new Cupola

Re-roof Gazebo with new Cupola

It all started out with this

I thought I'd just replace the asphalt shingles. Then I thought how nice cedar shakes would look. Then, when the roofer was replacing the shingles on the house, he looked at it and said, "You need to replace the sheathing too." He was right. So I thought, "Since I'm going that far, why not add a cupola?" And that's the story of the birth of this project.

I tore off the entire roof, rafters and all. Then I built the center octagon with cedartone PT 2x6s and connected the 8 rafters to that with Simpson brackets.

With that in place, I sheathed it with 5/8" siding grooved 4" O.C. and faced the grooved side down. Because I didn't know how long it would take me to lay the shakes down, I laid down some 30# felt and nailed in the lower battens.

I sealed the sheathing with Defy Cedar stain before cutting and installing it and added the fascia.

Then I began working on the cupola in my basement shop. I started by making a downward facing finial out of a piece of 4x4 cedar. I then made the 8 rafters and screwed and glued them to the finial,

I then began on the side walls. I started with 2x4 walls but didn't like the way it looked, too clunky.

So I cut a profile on the inside with the bandsaw.

I used a 45 degree router bit to shape the edges.

Then I began working on the face. I was thinking of louvers, considered plexiglass but that offered no air flow, then finally decided on this:

The cedartone sort of clashed with the cedar so I glued strips of cedar to the outside to match it up. All of the cedar I used started out with some 4x4s and was resawed to the shape I needed. The outer frame of the lattice is 1-1/4x1-1/4 while the inner parts are 1x1.

I put on the sheathing, which I duplicated what I did on the main roof and started on the roofing. I had never installed cedar shakes before. I found the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau and used their roof installation manual as my guideline.

When I finally reached the peak, I couldn't decide how to finish it. So I made a piece of metal flashing and pondered how I'd proceed from there.

One very hot day I went back into the shop and turned another finial on the lathe. I knew I couldn't make it too pointed as the cedar would most likely split. I then made some "legs" and dry fit them to the finial.

I removed the legs and rounded them over on the router table. But I still didn't like the look.

So, on another scorcher of a day, I brought some more shakes down to the shop and cut them to fit the metal flashing, keeping the bottom edge 7-1/2" from the lower ridge shake.

Even though I didn't want to pierce the metal flashing, I knew I had to if I wanted the top finial to stay in place. So I drilled a 1" hole in the bottom of the finial and into the top of the lower finial. Then I cut a 1" oak dowel as my anchor.

Continued...

Then it was back to the outside to work on the shakes there. I at first laid out the shakes on one section to see how they would look.

Then I decided working off a ladder would take forever, be unstable and cause me to go up and down each time I had to cut a shake. No way was I going to cut them while standing on a ladder. So I made some braces that attach to the 4x4 posts with pressure wedges holding them in place. I made four, figuring I'd have three sections to work on at any time and I could leap frog as I work around. I have 2x8 planks I will have to cut and screw cleats to. Then I'll put a 2x4 rail on the uprights.

Than everything came to a screeching halt!

We live right next to a park. They were doing some work on the park. An inspector was out at the park checking out their work and happened to look over and see a new roof going on the gazebo. She red tagged me! She missed must have the permit that was taken out on the roof (they are extending it to the gazebo) but she also nailed me for a hot tub that was installed 19 years ago AND for the temporary brace in the pic above. She thought I was building some extension on the gazebo.

Then I found out the roofer never got the permit! That problem is almost settled. I should be able to resume work on the outside next week. When it's finished, I'll post a pic.

Julie,

You are doing an outstanding job on your gazebo. I am sorry about your problems with the inspector. I hope everything works out OK. Be sure to resume your photo's. I would like to see the finished photo's.

Sam

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work! I hope you get everything resolved soon.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Really cool project.
    Sad to hear about the inspector. Sounds like someone trying to justify their job.

Tell the inspector that you own the property, she doesn't.

I'm so glad that I live in Indiana--we have "Log Cabin Laws" that protect homeowners, affirming their right to work on their own property.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Fantastic work! I really like your creative touches on the cupola. Are you going to match the lattice design of the cupola on the lower part of the gazebo?

I also like your cantilevered scaffolding! Shame on that inspector for not recognizing it for what it is.

Thank you guys!

I finally got back to working on the gazebo roof. I was under the weather for a while.

Yesterday I set up the scaffolding. When I bought the wood, to keep costs down, I only figured enough for three sections, thinking I'd leapfrog the sections as I went along. I wish I had bought enough for four sections. I didn't realize I'd only be able to complete one full section before leapfrogging because I'd have to leave the ends of the other sections open to lay the battens and felt. Oh well...

I took this pic this morning. I was able to lay the battens in three sections and finish the fascia in two sections. I then tried to remember how to lay the felt for interlay with the shakes. I ended having to re-read the CSSB manual and watch their video again too. If you haven't seen it, you'll be amazed at how fast that one guy is, especially with "speed nailing". WOW! I'd bet he would have my gazebo done in an hour and it would look better than what is taking me days.

Not the fanciest of scaffolding but it works. Today I replaced the 4' ladder with a 6' one.

The cupola roof sees daylight for the first time! OMG! Was that thing heavy! My girlfriend and I thought we were going to have heart attacks getting it up the stairs!

This is where I was around 2PM today. The temp got to 93 here and I needed a break so it was picture progress time.

Once I got the hang of laying the felt I realized how easy it makes the rest of the work. The felt becomes your guide to laying the shakes and I like how the interlay method brings up any moisture to the surface, reducing the probability of mold and mildew setting in. I think this roof will be better than the one on the house! And no, I have no plans on tackling THAT job!

One thing that I just can't seem to get is laying the shakes on the hips so they come to that attractive peak on top. I just laid one hip line and they look flat, even though I bevel cut the edges. Maybe if I bought them pre-made they would look better. Too late now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Tell the inspector that you own the property, she doesn't.

I'm so glad that I live in Indiana--we have "Log Cabin Laws" that protect homeowners, affirming their right to work on their own property.
    I guess it varies by locality. Here, replacing something doesn't require a permit. Adding something or or making a major structural/electrical/plumbing modification would. For example replacing a window doesn't require a permit. Cutting into the framing to make a single window into a double window would require a permit and inspection.

Most people here don't know that permits to do their own work aren't absolutely required. And the local authorities certainly don't advertise that fact because it would cut into their revenue stream.

That said, there are many things I would not hesitate to do without permits/inspection, electrical being one of them. However, in the next few years, I plan to replace my deck with a larger one, and for that, I plan to get a permit. For one, it's because I know that the county's code department can be fairly helpful, and deck construction techniques have changed greatly in recent years due to some highly visible failures of seemingly sound decks. I just prefer the voluntary aspect of Indiana's system.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Here, replacing something doesn't require a permit. Adding something or or making a major structural/electrical/plumbing modification would.
    That's how the code reads here but it's not how the inspector interpreted it. And that's the problem. Most people I've talked to over the years have said they fear most that the inspector has the final say, regardless what the written word says. That is even written into the code here, so you really don't stand a chance if you try to challenge them.

An interesting side note: When the inspector came out, even though the permit has not yet been issued, I asked him about some stone veneer I had applied for with the permit for the things I was red tagged on. He said they don't inspect that but he'd be glad to come out and inspect it if I wanted him to.

It's even worse....The code books usually say ,on the first or so ,that having your work approved is no protection against it being found in violation later.

Wow, more great work!

I am having a hard time seeing the problem that you are describing with the hip lines (not that I have ever roofed an octagonal roof and would know what to do). But, a detail picture might elicit some suggestions from others who might have experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Here, replacing something doesn't require a permit. Adding something or or making a major structural/electrical/plumbing modification would.
    That ends up being a grey area. Merely replacing something may not require a permit, but (for example) here you are replacing the roof structure which is structural and would need an inspection. Even if you use the same size lumber, same layout for all the pieces, and such, there is a chance that the wood you use doesn't have the same bearing capacity as the original or you've used the wrong nails to attach to pressure treated or... I've actually seen someone "replace" a rotted structural member but used drywall screws to install the Simpson connectors...

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
    That's how the code reads here but it's not how the inspector interpreted it. And that's the problem. Most people I've talked to over the years have said they fear most that the inspector has the final say, regardless what the written word says. That is even written into the code here, so you really don't stand a chance if you try to challenge them.
    The inspector does have the final word on the interpretation of the code. As an architect, I do my best to talk to the same inspector throughout a project for this reason. In a larger area, you can talk to one inspector in the preliminary phase of a project and get his approval for doing something a certain way. Then when you are under construction and the (different) inspector comes out to approve the final work he can end up interpreting the code differently. I get a lot of that sort of thing with the ADA (handicapped accessible) codes with all the measurements. One person will measure to the edge of a grab-bar or railing while the next will measure to the centerline... As such, my drawings have progressively gotten more and more detailed over the past couple of decades so that all of this is documented. If I've measured to the centerline and the contractor installs it to the edge, then I have something to fall back on when the change order comes in and not just "thirty-six inches clearance" on my drawings.

Almost done!

I could have finished the shakes yesterday but I ran out.

I removed the cupola wall to stain/seal it and install the flashing.

I'm still not sure how I'll finish the work here. The bottom of the cupola wall sits on top of the flashing and once the ridge shakes are finished to the top they will be too high to tuck under the flashing.

You can see the flashing shingles I used under the ridge shakes. I did that all the way up.

This is what the flashing shingles look like. I'll install more before I nail down the final ridge shakes.

And finally, my trusty scaffold in all its glory. What a time saver!