Thread: Mike Foster/Paul Hedman Illusion

Mike Foster/Paul Hedman Illusion

I have long been an admirer of Mike's amazing, mathematically derived pieces and Paul's heavily textured multi axis work. So I decided to combine the techniques of both into a "tribute" piece. Being me, I could not resist the urge to place the finished piece on a pedestal and add a finial. This took a ton of hours to design and layout. Turned on dozens of axises. Then weeks of painstaking carving, texturing, burning, coloring and other stuff. Nights of sleep lost and days passing in a haze while my wife despaired of me assuming I had lost my mind. And when I finally returned to reality and presented her with this, she was convinced that she was right. "What the (bleep) is that???" she asked. "It's a piece." I replied. "Of that there can be no doubt…." she answered.

f_i_1.jpg

OK… It's all BS! The other day, I was visiting a friend who is a retired botanist and a total "plant freak". By his front door I noticed a large bowl full of these things. It's a seed pod from a liquid amber tree. It did remind me of some of Mike and Paul's work so I thought…. well… what the heck. OK… I was bored! Since I have also wondered at some of the fine miniature work I've seen, I thought I might give that a go. It's really too big to be called "miniature", being a full three and a half inches tall and, therefore, plainly visible to the naked eye. But it's as small as I have ever attempted. Here it is sitting on a nickel.

f_i_1_sm.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

Did you turn the pedestal and finial on your new monster lathe? Nice mix of natural and refined.
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Kewl looks like a sycamore seed pod
    3333504632_d403ffc746.jpg
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Kewl looks like a sycamore seed pod
    Not sycamore -- sweetgum or gum or red red gum (and half a dozen other names just in Kentucky]. "Liquid amber" is from the scientific/botanical name Liquidambar styraciflua A single tree can produce 10-20 bushels of these things.

Notice the difference in the photoballs.jpg
    921 miles South from that famous person Steve Schlumpf

David,
    You almost had me in! I was reading the first paragraph, but looking at the pic out of corner of my eye I thought "looks one of them dang sweetgum balls"...but I held off to absorb the leadup on this piece of ...ahem...art.
    Actually, I think it's a wonderful bit of detail work on finial/stand, but I'm not so sure of the market in these parts.
    I love trees...but like most others, won't hesitate to find a reason to take one of these down that border my yard. The ones in the woods...they're welcome to stay as long as their little droppings stay out there!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

7. Very nice detail on the pedestal and finial........how did you connect the sweet gum seed pod? With glue on an area where you took off the spikes? I like what you did here, David.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

A very interesting concept. The imagination at work.
    C&C WELCOME

That is cool! Love the mix of natural and turned! Really nice work on turning something so tiny!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!