Thread: My Upstairs Shop

My Upstairs Shop

My Upstairs shop

I thought I would give you a picture with a round the shop tour. The shop is on the second floor of my commercial building. I put it there to separate it from my metal shop below. A friend of mine and I did all the construction after having it engineered. It is supported by Glu-Lam beams with I-joists. The floors are 1 1/8" decking coated with four coats of Urethane.

I have access via an order picker (you know, those riding fork lifts you see in Home Depot) and stairs.
    Entering the shop from the stair or the lift you will see the corner. In progress is the screw and hardware storage. Straight away is a repurposed cabinet storing routers. Above are air nailers.
    http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...shoppix039.jpg
    Continuing around are a planning bench with drawing cabinet, a second bench and the band saw. Notice air plumbed in and lots of outlets.

Further on the wall is a drill press, a small lathe (borrowed from Pisgah and used to fix broken handles, etc.) and another bench. A larger wood lathe is on my wish list.

Turning the corner of the L is a clamp rack. The door leads to storage.

Making a 90 degree angle you come to the L part of the shop. This wall is dedicated to storage. At the end of the L is additional storage.
    http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...shoppix038.jpg
    The long bench is made for both the Radial arm saw and a compound miter saw.

Here is the old warhorse Delta Radial arm saw with dust collector at rear.

Rounding the corner is a cluster of tools including the vacuum, Grizzly Shaper, Makita Planer/Jointer, and Delta Table saw. Built into the table is a router. Also notice that all are on wheels and the table saw extension pushes out into the open area.

Here is another picture of the movable tools.

A lot of my tools are old, including this craftsman belt/disc sander.

I recently purchased this MCS router table which I have already modified.

As most shops it is still under constant revision and there are always a few new tools to add. Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Jim

2. Pretty nice! Well organized..........thanks for sharing the pics!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

James,

That is a great looking shop you have there. Photo's of the metal shop would be interesting as well... That would sure be nice to have a metal shop, and a wood shop.

Sam

Nice shop! Thanks for sharing.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Very nice shop, the lift truck is a shop accessory that most of us dream of.................Regards, Rod.

Alright, I'll be the first to say it... YOU SUCK!

But seriously, I would kill to have a shop like yours... color me green with envy.

Very cool layout. Thanks for the tour!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nicely layed out, clean and organized. I like the location of your compressor.