Thread: Homemade Steady Rest

Homemade Steady Rest

Well I finally built a steady rest from scraps around the shop and below is the rest plus the first product from it. Works great and I should not have dragged my feet on building it. Spent alot of time thinking I was going to weld one up but gave up on that and went this way. Seems to be plenty steady enough for my needs. You may notice that the wheels are mounted towards the headstock in on picture and reversed in the other picture. That was for no real reason other than to try them both ways.

IMG_1034.JPGIMG_1035.JPGIMG_1039.JPG
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

2. That is a nice piece of work, Paul. Sturdy built as well.........my only concern is that if you were to do a form that is short, the bottom piece that sits on your bed might be a little long.........of course a shorter hollow form is not as critical on the need for a steady either......some larger diameter and less tall forms might could benefit........at any rate this is really nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger,
    Thanks for the comment. I intentionally did not use glue on anything figuring there may be modifications in the future. It can be mounted with the support facing out and I could try a smaller support base. A work in progress. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Paul Singer; 07-31-2012 at 1:51 PM.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

Nice job on the steady, Paul. One day I'll finish mine and this might be the inspiration. . I notice the lights you're using are what I have.... Have you had problems with them flickering and blinking out?

Nice looking steady rest.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jerry,

My one light will go dim on me at times and I have to shut it off and turn it back on to get it back to full strength. Yesterday I added two more of those lights to the lathe so we will see if they act up. I really like the way you can put the light right where you need it.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

That's a nice, functional steady rest. I also noticed the short bar mounted, I did the same thing and mounted a small box that I plug my dust collector hose into.

I have the same light and the same problem. I suspect the problem is in the switch, when it stops working I'll replace the switch. That should solve that problem.

Bill,

I hang my hose on that bar sometimes also. It now has three lights on it. Now that you mention that switch I will keep an eye on that. Be a simple fix if that is what is wrong. Can't expect too much for $10 I guess.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp