Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corian Directional and Stairwell Signs

Hi Keith,
    Thanks you for your detailed reply, I appreciate your advice.
    I am just a little confused (others may say I am a very 'confused person') over two things:
    1) What is the advantage to machining down the Corian thickness? Will it warp in weather exposed environments in a machined down form?
    2) I think I understand what you mean about machining 3/8” holes for masonry walls, but if you would post a picture of this, that would be great I see how this would aid in locating the screw, however I am not sure how it would help the screw into the 5/16” slot if the screw is a little misaligned in the wall.
    I’m off to locate that bit now...
    Thanks again and kind regards, John

Edit: would 2 flute spirals be the correct cutting tool for Corian? Thanks
    Last edited by John Bion; 07-12-2014 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Additional Question
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    What is the advantage to machining down the Corian thickness? Will it warp in weather exposed environments in a machined down form?
    I don't think he's machining down the thickness... he's engraving the front, flooding with paint, then sanding down back to a clean-edge surface.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Sorry about the poor picture quality, I don't own a close-up lens for any of my cameras.

I don't reduce the Corian thickness. It isn't necessary as Corian won't warp or degrade in interior or exterior service.

I don't have a picture of a keyhole with the larger 3/8" access hole. Enlarging the access hole makes it easier to install a door sign but it isn't necessary to make the slot larger because the ratio of the size of the slot is larger in comparison to the head of the screw. When you install on a sheetrock wall the screws will move/flex a little bit if necessary, they will bend a little bit but not flex in a masonry wall.

John, you should attend my next ADA door sign class

.http://www.northwindassociates.com/w...orian_sign.gif
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-13-2014 at 4:51 PM.

Hi Keith and Dan,
    Thanks for your replies, indeed I had been confused.
    I would love to attend one of your ADA classes, but alas, I suspect that travel would make it a touch expensive to justify (I have enjoyed my previous trips to various parts of the United States and would love a good excuse to travel again )
    kind Regards, John
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

HI Keith,
    Just a note of thanks: I received my new keyhole bit and tried it today, ran beautifully with your tip to drill first. Corian really does cut very nicely
    I have never used the Vectric Keyhole add-on before, this is going to be very useful, I have always done keyholes on a hand router in the past.
    Kind regards, John