Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Hollow Form

My First Hollow Form

Well I turned my first hollow form today out of box elder. Last night I brought in a number of blanks from the shed and this was one of them. I had a number of pieces in my arms and didn't think much of it. But today when I went to move them, this piece felt so light I thought it was hollow. I know it wasn't because I cut this blank back in October.

But that gave me an idea that it was time I tried to turn a hollow form so I set it up and started. The blank had a little burl on the outside which ended up on the bottom. And what is the top, there was some of the box elder red in it so I thought it would look good on top. Well the red came off in the first 1/4" but then the curl started to show up and the more I turned it and cut, the more the curl came out.

It is 7-1/4" x 4" and is 1/4" thick though most of it. Got chicken and stopped before I blew up my first try. The top is cherry but I haven't glued it in yet because as noted this blank was just cut last October and the tree came down in September so it is a bit wet and I will see how it moves before I glue the top on. It is buffed with all 3 wheels and I used sanding sealer to coat everything inside hoping to slow down the drying that's left. This is light as a feather so it is pretty dry already. The chips coming off felt dry, We will see.

Now that stuff is coming out a little better the next thing I need to work on is the lighting and taking better pictures. These were taken with the same camera on the same table with the same light.

Anyway thanks for looking and I am very happy with my first attempt at hollow form turning. Mickey loves it and has a place for it picked out already.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (42.8 KB, 274 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (33.2 KB, 266 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (31.8 KB, 263 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (41.3 KB, 262 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (47.6 KB, 260 views)
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

That is really nice, Dick, I like the form --
    Jerry

Thumbs up

You should be very happy! It's beautiful! I hope that someday I will be able to do something approaching that.

Dick, that is a beautiful piece and dittos what Carole said about doing one. That's real nice grain. Looks like a blonde tiger. Good job.

Ernie

Nice turning, Dick. You are on your way. As for finding a place for it, be sure there is room for lots more. Hollow forms are adicting as most turning is. I have filled up a cup rack, the mantle, and have started on a breakfast bar in the kitchen. I need to set up a booth some where and try to sell them, but I don't lnow if my wife will let me get rid of them.)-:
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Dick,

Amazing!I would not even know where to begin!!! That is great work!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thank you everyone for the nice comments. This will more then likely be the last one, at least of this size. I thought I already hurt everywhere, wrong . I am hurting in places I didn't know could hurt I am sure I will make another one but it will be a lot smaller and might take a couple of days to do.

Thanks again
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dick,
    Outstanding vessel. How did you reverse it for the bottom? Did you make a jam chuck, or did you use a cole or jumbo jaws?

Again great work.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Stunning, Dick! Simply stunning!!! Great form, beautiful finish and you did that chunk 'o wood justice! I hope it's NOT your last, though I understand completely about the pain thing. Small ones are nice, too! So, what type of hollowing tool(s) are you using? Once I get brave enough to attempt a hollow form, I need to be prepared! Thanks for the post. Very, very nicely done!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dick, That's really great!

Nice work Dick, thanks for letting us see it.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Simply Fantastic!

Great Job!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Thanks again everyone.

Blake first I used a compression chuck I built but it wouldn't allow me to really blend in the bottom, only remover the tenon. So I made a jam chuck to fit into the opening and used a flat head on my live center drive in the tail stock which worked great. Would have saved a step if I had used it to begin with.

Thanks John, I used a bunch of tools for it, tried them all. I have a Sorby hollow master that I used the most and a 1/2" round nose scraper to clean everything up with. I have made a couple of tools using big allen wrench's ground down and put into handles, they will work for smaller hollow forms but didn't do to good on this one.

Thanks again.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Real fine job Dick, Nice work.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    I have a Sorby hollow master that I used the most
    Ok, Dick...give it up! What's the secret to that darn Hollowmaster? I've looked at the video, read, experimented and I still can't use the thing! Help me!