Thread: Flatting agent for water based lacquer

Flatting agent for water based lacquer

Is there something available that can be added to water based lacquer to change it from a gloss to either a semigloss or matte finish? I have a quantity of gloss left and don't want to buy more unless I absolutely have to. The was some flatting paste that I bought with it but it basically rusted out the can and went all brown so couldn't be used. Just wondered if there was some commonly available something that I could try.

Thanks
    Michael

Spray a test board and after it cures rub it out with H20 with little soap in it. I use #0000 steel wool and get a satin finish.

There is a product called Shellac Flat That I have used to flatten varnish and shellac. There is no binder in it so it should work.

FYI a little goes a long way... a soda bottle capful will make a pint of finish flat.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks for the help. Depending on the project I'll try both methods.

Michael