Thread: shop power

shop power

At times i feel like an idiot when it comes to 3 phase electricity and 3 phase switches. I am running more and more 3 phase equipment these days, but really do not understand it. I have a RPC to run my machines but when something is wrong it set me way back until i can figure out what happened. Can anyone recommend a good book to explain the basics of 3 phase power and motor repairs?

Thanks Kenny
    Last edited by Kenny hill; 08-08-2012 at 4:05 PM.

Kenny,

All of my books on basic electricity and AC theory are from the 60s and 70s. They're really good books, but its very doubtful that they are still being published. In order to better understand 3-phase power, a person really needs to first have a good handle on just basic electricity, as well as AC theory altogether. Once you have a good grasp of basic single phase AC theory at the sine wave level, it is monumentally easier to understand the effects and the math involved when additional sine waves co-exist.

The best book out there for you would be a book called Elecricity 1-7. It has very good illustrations and is written very well, in my opinion. It is a favorite go to electrical book for Power Engineers here in Canada.

thanks for the replies. I just found the book Darcy recommended. Crazy as it sounds, i bought it for $.01 off amazon. How does anyone sell a book for a cent?

Thanks

Because the subject is "Elecricity" (sic). The equivalent book for Electricity is worth more.

What do you think of the book Kenny?