Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repurposed a Baby Grand Piano

Repurposed a Baby Grand Piano

Had a client come into my shop as asked if I could make his Starck Baby Grand Piano into an entertainment shelf/bookcase. I of course said sure I could.

Now that’s something you don’t see everyday! Very unique and very nice!
    The photography is excellent!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Leo, my first thought was what a sin to take a piano and turn it into shelfs. That said, you pulled it off brilliantly. Nice job.

The piano had been refinished twice. The piano had been in storage for who knows how long and mice had gotten into the hammers and chewed them a little. The ivory keys had been replaced with plastic on one of the former refinishes. The owners already have 2 pianos and wanted to see if this could be done. Well what do you know...it can.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    The piano had been refinished twice. The piano had been in storage for who knows how long and mice had gotten into the hammers and chewed them a little. The ivory keys had been replaced with plastic on one of the former refinishes. The owners already have 2 pianos and wanted to see if this could be done. Well what do you know...it can.
    Did you reuse the legs or did you make new ones? That detail was very smart and really makes it work. I don't know that I would have thought of doing that.

I made new ones. The originals were in poor shape and by the time I would have gotten them to good condition I would have made new legs. The originals were poplar with mahogany veneers, just like everything else.

The ones I made were traced from the originals. The back legs were the top of the original legs and the fronts were the lower half, but they were shortened to work with the back legs. Plus the originals were much beefier and would have looked off.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-10-2012 at 5:18 PM. Reason: • Removed forum link. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed per the TOS.

Great job. I'd love to see it in in place and setup.

Now that's creative. Nice job.

An unrelated question. How are you able to get 15 pictures in one posting? I thought there was a much lower limit. I think it's great not to have to break up a posting into several parts.
    Paul

Holy cow !!! that is the work of a genius !!! I salute you, sire !! AMAZING INDEED !!
    MARK

As an ex-piano rebuilder I've seen several case conversions. This one is by far the best...nicely done!

Warning! Old pianos have become increasingly available for the taking as restoring them is almost never financially feasible. If anyone is tempted to re-purpose an old piano case please take the following necessary precaution.

The strings on a piano have a combined tension of between 30,000 and 60,000 lbs. This can be very dangerous if you attempt to cut the strings off or, worse yet, go after the piano with a sledge hammer, sawzall, etc. For safety sake, spend a few bucks and buy a cheap piano tuning hammer. Starting at the left end of the piano, loosen every 5th string all the way up to the top by turning its tuning pin counter-clockwise. Then go back and loosen every 4th string and so on until all of the tension has been eliminated. By doing it this way you will be reducing the tension gradually over the entire width of the instrument, greatly reducing if not eliminating the risk.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Now that's creative. Nice job.

An unrelated question. How are you able to get 15 pictures in one posting? I thought there was a much lower limit. I think it's great not to have to break up a posting into several parts.
    Paul
    I was as surprised as you about the amount of pics I could post. They aren't uploaded. They are hotlinked to my photo site, maybe that is what makes the difference.

Was there any discussion about putting a back on it? In your shop, it seems to me that it'd look better with a back. But in the client's home, maybe it'll look different.

I must agree, that is an amazing transformation!
    "It's Not About You."

Now that is slicker than snot on a doorknob. Nice to see it was turned into somethins useful instead of feeding it to the landfill. I did a project similar with an old floor model TV. Removed the electrical innards and turned it into a storage cabinet.
    Some fine work there.

Really nice...a conversation piece for years to come, no doubt.

Very nice work! I saw a similar setup in a picture posted by a friend of mine on Facebook last week, but it was setup as a "piano bar". Wonderful way to preserve an instrument that's no longer playable, but still beautiful or potentially beautiful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...