Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New bandsaw owner - need advice

1. How much did you cost for the “Micro-Adjust” model Carter guides?

Quote Originally Posted by James Heisbert View Post
    How much did you cost for the “Micro-Adjust” model Carter guides?
    I believe they were about $234 plus tax, but it depends on the model you need for your specific saw.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

3. Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I believe they were about $234 plus tax, but it depends on the model you need for your specific saw.
    That’s a reasonable price. What I’ve been lurking for now is this: http://bandsawparts.com/delta_blade_guide_kits.cfm?CFID=249153&CFTOKEN=707 88016&jsessionid=843067f1256f059b6450222f166970704 b22. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by James Heisbert View Post
    That’s a reasonable price. What I’ve been lurking for now is this: http://bandsawparts.com/delta_blade_guide_kits.cfm?CFID=249153&CFTOKEN=707 88016&jsessionid=843067f1256f059b6450222f166970704 b22. What do you think?
    It's difficult to tell. They don't describe it at all, and the photo is tiny. All I can say is that the Carter guides are well documented as being excellent products, the company is know for it's customer service, and they have definately proven themselves to me. For me, the few bucks difference would not have enticed me to choose these over the Carter guides.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Being new to bandsaws, my first recommendation is to purchase Lonnie Bird's Band Saw Book. It will tell you how to set up and align your saw. It will tell you what blades to get based on the type of cutting you plan to do (there is no one "all purpose" bandsaw blade). Further, it will show you how to get the best out of your new saw.
    Howie.........

6. Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    It's difficult to tell. They don't describe it at all, and the photo is tiny. All I can say is that the Carter guides are well documented as being excellent products, the company is know for it's customer service, and they have definately proven themselves to me. For me, the few bucks difference would not have enticed me to choose these over the Carter guides.

Well, Carter guides are really good. The brand has encrypted it’s name with good reputations and good customer service.

7. sorry, double post. (edited)

Last edited by James Heisbert; 08-17-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: double post

"why is this riser different from the other 14" Grizzly saw risers"
    The rack and pinion mechanism is not on the 0555 saw, so the riser for the 0555LX requires a different design.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

9. I just bought the T25555 riser kit, supposedly for the G0555LX, but it doesn't fit. I have an email into Grizzly to find out why.

I purchase my blades with www.sawblade.com . They have exactly what I wanted. Did you properly install the blade guides and the band saw blade?

Lots of good advice. I found if I take off the table it is a lot easier to adjust the guides, just takes a minute.
    Fred

The first thing to do is remove the bottom blade guide bearings and top blade guide bearings. And throw them in the trash and replace them with cool blocks holder.
    It is 20x times better than getting clogged up bearings.

I don't remember the parts number, but they sell the holders for 20 bucks a pair.
    Last edited by Steven Hsieh; 01-14-2013 at 8:24 PM.

13. For blades check this company out. http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Bla...lade-selection I and many other wood turners buy their blades. You have to call as they do not do web orders. I think their blades are about $8 plus shipping with a $50 minimum order. These are really good blades and last as long and cut as well as Timberwolf or Olson blades. For resawing the wood slicer from Highland tools cannot be beat. I have found that the flutter method for setting tension works really well and the dollar bill for setting the guide rollers. Upgrading to Carter rollers is a big plus also.