Thread: embedding music sheets in finish

embedding music sheets in finish

My nephew is looking for opinions on finish type and procedure to have sheets of music embedded in a coffee table finish. I was wondering if bar top epoxy is the best way to go? He is looking to do this on an older table and I'm not sure if he plans on refinishing or if he is hoping to add finish. I think refinishing is best for proper adhesion.

Thanks in advance
    Pat

Google - decoupage.

There's dozens of different ways to do it. It all depends on what you want it to look like.

That's exactly what I needed. THANKS!! Couldn't remember the term

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Google - decoupage.

There's dozens of different ways to do it. It all depends on what you want it to look like.

There is also another technique called Gel Transfer. You paint either gel medium or Matte Medium onto the surface of the print, in this case either a photocopy or inkjet print of the sheet music, that you want to transfer and then apply to the wood. You let the transfer dry overnight and then use a wet sponge to take off the paper backing leaving only the print. Don't scrub to hard or you risk removing the print. The only thing is that the image is reversed when it is transferred onto the wood. Here is a link describing the process.
    http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm