Thread: Can anyone point me in the right direction to build a harp???

Can anyone point me in the right direction to build a harp???

My wife can play a harp like an angel. However she does not have a harp worthy of her angelic songs...does anyone out there have a direction to point me in to craft an incredible harp???

I am a pretty accomplished woodworker, but I do not want to spend countless hours building something that sounds terrible.

THANKS!!!

The dismal nordic experiments of '73 and the sinister events of '79 not withstanding I've never built a harp or indeed any musical instrument, sheer curiosity however had me bookmark these pages.

Hopefully they may prove to be of some use.

http://www.sligoharps.com/btlh.html

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/celti...nstruction.htm

This site, http://www.siegelproductions.ca/fidd...struments.html, is perhaps only tangentially relevant, but I find it interesting.

C
    Last edited by Caspar Hauser; 08-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks Caspar! I will take a look at those sites...

Great resources, thanks Caspar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    My wife can play a harp like an angel. However she does not have a harp worthy of her angelic songs...does anyone out there have a direction to point me in to craft an incredible harp???

I am a pretty accomplished woodworker, but I do not want to spend countless hours building something that sounds terrible.

THANKS!!!
    A fellow from West Virginia wrote me asking for help in building a harpsichord. Turns out he is a harp builder and has been building them for years. You might want to sent him an email. Perhaps he can lead you in the right direction. I don't want to put his email out in public without his permission, but drop me a PM and I'll give it to you.

Ernie
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

Thanks Ernie, will do...

Marini Made Harps dot com

They are in Lancaster, PA. They look and sound Beautuful! He has a full range of sizes as well.

No affilation. I just leave a puddle of drool on the floor infront of his booth at the homeschool convention each year.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Technically, a harp isn't as demanding as some other instruments. Everything is right out in the open. It's fairly simple to build a couple prototypes, recycle, and do it again until you figure out where "good sound" comes from in a harp and where the technical puzzles are hidden. You can pretty much measure a harp you like and just copy it. There isn't too much hidden detail. It's been years since I've built a "harp" harp, but these are the notes stuck in my head. If someone feels differently, I'd enjoy hearing their point of view.
    Russ

I stumbled across this looking for something else and remembered your post. http://www.harpmall.com/harp_kits_&_plans.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post

THANKS!!!
    Hi Sean,

How is the harp building going? Sorry I came to this thread late but thought I would put in my 2 cents... That link to Sligo harp shop is where I started about 5 years ago. I've now built a couple dozen and I'm still going. The heart of a good sounding harp is in the string set (length, mass, material, etc...) and the string rib/soundboard. Rick Kemper provides a nice introduction to doing string calculations (so you can get a string set defined) and then his building guide will give a starting point for the dimensions of the rib and soundboard. Unfortunately experience/experimentation has to take over from there. My first few were descent (and sold!) but I think I'm just now getting them real good. If you don't have time for experience/experimentation I'd get some plans. I'd be glad to chat about any questions you may have. check my website www.serenityharps.com
    Last edited by William Polk; 02-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.