Thread: Newbie needs advice on CAD/CAM

Newbie needs advice on CAD/CAM

I am a newbie just getting into woodworking. I am currently in the process of building a Rockcliff Model D router and I am wondering when it is finished, what I will use to produce files to run on it. I am mostly interested in doing small projects like signs and some custom design machining. I currently have AutoCAD 2005, no CAM package and no 3D package. What is best for a beginner like me to use based on what I want to do? Is there a combo package available that will do both? By the way, I really don't want to spend $1500.00 just yet either. What is out there for me? Thanks for the help.

Check out the Vectric line of software you can start out with Vcave pro and later upgrade to Aspire.

I use CamBam. It's a very easy program to use for 2 and 2.5D g-code generation. Since it does a great job of reading DXF files, it would be a good G-Code generator to use with AutoCAD. The licensed vesion is $150. You can download the full version and use it (limited to 500 lines). If you like it, you can then buy the license and use it unlimited.

For sign making, and to learn on, 2.5D cam software might be a good choice. The 2.5D adds a single cut depth to the 2D CAD file. For example, you can tell the CAM software to cut 3/8", in 3 passes, each 1/8" deep.

If you choose Vectric software, they will let you upgrade to 3D later on.

John

Thanks for the advice. I will check out all of these. Are any of you going to IWF next week? My dad and I are going. I'm pretty excited.

come by the booth and introduce yourself, you may get to meet kieth outten and some others from the forum

camaster.com

AAAiwf.jpg

Awesome, I will definately stop by.

If you already have autocad to make your STL files, try out Deskproto.. the hobbyist licenses are very affordable. They have a 30 day trial that allows you to actually cut things.

Some things Deskproto does better than Vectric software, other things Vectric does better.. (I have both)..

We made the 600 mile drive to Atlanta yesterday. I will be at IWF this morning.
    Looking forward to visiting with everyone again.

Ardy, I'm a big fan of Vectric software.

Enjoyed the show. It was a pleasure meeting some of you guys. The guys at Vectric and Camaster were great. I picked up the Vectric trial software while there and I am playing with it now.

it was good to meet you too !

For CAM packages...

BobCAD/CAM is pretty good for the money.... make sure you dicker with them because they do deal and will call back with a better offer. In fact, they'll hound you for years. :^)

We run the 2D Enroute package and really like it. Very easy to use. Very intuative. Good support. But pricey!

We do all of our CAD in either AutoCAD or SolidWorks.