Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW - What a Morning ! ! ! ! !

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

WOW - What a Morning ! ! ! ! !

<p align="center">
    WOW - WHAT A MORNING SO FAR</p>

I have been experiencing tornado weather since 8:00am this morning. Really scarry since my Grandson and I actually saw a tornado passing within 500 yds of "The Old Rebel Workshop". Luckily it did not actually touchdown, but close. Touchdown occurred about 2 miles down the road to the East. At the time the Nexrad Radar was showing 4 tornados within an 8 mile radius of my house - all at the same time.

Major hail -- golf ball size and 3" of rain in 1 1/2 hours.

There is major flooding all over the city of Huntsville and the surrounding area. The Von Braun Civic Center in the downtown area has more than 3' of water in the underground parking facility. Lots of trees and power lines down everywhere.

I am closely monitoring the TV. Unfortunately we are expected to be under tornado/severe thunderstorm watch for the rest of the day. (as I was typing this the TV Station went off the air).
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-06-2003 at 11:03 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Blog Entries

You're not in Kansas anymore????

Hey tie everything down and batten the hatches. Better lash that truck of yours down too.

Glad to hear that you are okay so far. Some pretty nasty storms this week. We had severe wind all day yesterday. Took down lots of trees and some power lines. Lots of rain, no hail though.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Stay low Ken......

Tighten up that hatband real tight Ken. Stay cool.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the early warning. here in N. Georgia we are getting it now. they have seen tornados east of us but none near yet. Think of it as an opertunity to collect wood for turning.

I'm very glad to hear that y'all are all right so far.

Here's hoping that tornaders continue to avoid the Old Rebel and his workshop! (Probably don't dare mess with him :-)

Cheers,
    Bob

P.S. If you lose the awning in all that wind, will you still have a sign contest??
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

Stay safe, and good luck to all of you down there. David
    GO KINGS

Did the Awning Survive?

Glad to hear you had zero damage. And people say us Californians are crazy for living in earthquake country???!!! I would be building a very DEEP shelter after that one!

Stay safe

Jay

Ken - there are a lot easier ways . . .

To take that fascia board down

Stay safe ya old rebel you!
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Glad to see you made it through!

Same deal here in Rogersville! i had 1-2" of water standing in the shed i call a shop! i guess it really was a good idea to put all my floor tools on concrete slabs.
    at least the roof doesn't leak!
    cya
    brad
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

Hotlanta weather

It's rockin' and rollin' down here in Atlanta right now. The building where I work is shaking from the thunder - doesn't happen often as this place was originally a poured-in-place parking deck from back in the late 30's. Solid. We've had hail and strong winds to go along with it. I just hope I don't collect big wood off my house when (if) I get home tonight.

Keep low.

Robert

Ken do you have the BUD tied down? Hang in there and keep us posted.Halsey

Hang in there

Just to be technical, for it to be a tornado the funnel cloud must touch the ground and have a visible dust/debris cloud on the ground. Anything else is just a funnel cloud. Little consolation for the fellow who has one heading his way

Every spring the NOAA people put on storm tracking classes for Ham Radio people and other people to crazy enough to be out in bad weather. Check with your local weather bureau for information.

Remember Ken, when you see a tornado coming, duck under a urinal, it is never hit
    Best Regards, Ken

My Heavens

Hi Ken,

I sure am glad to read it wmissed your place, how did the awning survive?

Take care,
    Jim

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Jim

Awning survived fine --- 85 mi/hr winds this morning - awning was on the down wind side of the building.

BTW: are you getting my e-mails ??? I need you to resend end-o=pond pics
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.