So long story short I picked up this set of stanley 720 chisels on ebay about 8 months ago for 100 bucks. They were listed as "stanley chisels" no mention of them being 720's and one grainy picture with no description whatsoever. so I bid 100 and won. Got the chisels and well they are NOT marked 720 it is obvious that they are in FACT 720's by there length. Say what you will about marked vs un-marked stanley chisels, I for one believe there to be no difference whatsoever in the chisels, especially when it comes to this set, which is so obviously a set of 720's. But I digress.

Here is what I have noticed about these chisels. They came as a set of 6, BUT one of them is marked differently, it has the stanley logo down on the blade (see pic 4) and only "made in usa" on the socket, and the others have "stanley" AND "made in usa" on the socket(see pic 3), may be that they are a set of 5, plus one. This makes sense. The MAIN point I would like to ask though is to USE or NOT TO USE??? Here is what stops me from using them..... THEY'VE HARDLY BEEN USED. I would almost say they've never been used but someones appears to have tried to put a micro bevel on them recently... but as the backs have the original grind marks on them 100% and the rest of the bevel has NEVER been touched by anything at all.... kinda a weird combo... I mean one could say without that attempt at a mirco bevel they'd never even been handled in any sort of woodworking... may have just sat in a drawer somewhere. so basically I have a 99% un-used set of stanley 720 chisels... do I sharpen them up and get working? Or do I collect them and get some Lie-Nielsens as they are better chisels anyway.... of course one could argue these are not direct comparison to bench chisels such as the Lie-Nielsens because they are 720's not 750's...

Also pictured in pic 1 is the last chisel, without the handle, is a TRUE NEW OLD STOCK chisel. I found it at an estate sale, the owner had NO other tools at all in his house, nothing that even resembled a tool shaped object!I found this in a desk drawer in the house, or mansion as is more accurate, it was very out of place... and it has never been touched, the bevel is untouched, the back is too... only wish there was a handle... any idea what I should do with this?

here's the pics.
IMAG0320.jpgIMAG0321.jpgIMAG0322.jpgIMAG0323.jpg