Thread: #4 Stanley advice

#4 Stanley advice

I have #4 Stanley that I got off the bay for cheap, it had a chipped lever cap and a broken replacement tote. It is a type 9. I got a different lever cap for it and made a new knob and tote out if cherry. Other than that all I had to do was clean it a little. I have a couple of questions about it though. First it seems to me that the sole casting is thin bottom and sides compared to a later model is this generall the case with earlier types? And the second concern is that the iron doesnt seat tight to the frog because the lateral adjustment lever disc hists the botom of the chip breaker. I believe it is the original iron for thus plane but it appears to be thinner than the sisc so it is held off the frog. I have gotten it to take a decent shaving despite this but want to make it right. Is there a way to remedy this desides buying a thicker aftermarket iron? Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries
    The thin sole and sides could be original or it could be due to over lapping by a previous owner. Many folks will lap a plane even though it doesn't need it. It is something we have all heard about. Some do it without knowing why.

If the disc on the lateral adjuster is hitting the chip breaker, something is wrong. It could be a bent lever or it could be as you suggest a thin blade. My recollection is Stanley blades are about 3/32" thick. It is also possible someone replaced the disk with a thick washer. Without pictures it is difficult to tell.

Home Depot has had a "Buck Brothers" branded blade for $3. The blade isn't a premium blade, but I have one in an old plane and it seems to work quite well for the cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)