Thread: Experimenting tinting epoxy

Experimenting tinting epoxy

I am trying 3 mediums: Shellac,Lacquer and Zpoxy[used in finishing guitars], and coloring/tinting each with these three colorants:Universal tints,metal acid dyes[transtint],and artist oils.I have a no. of ques.'s re. compatability with each of these mediums.I have tinted epoxy with universal tints and never had a problem.The universal tints i have seen [and have on hand] are not as vibrant i.e., red isn't red it's rusty or terra cotta red.If you were to use artist oils mixed in epoxy, wouldn't they become encapsulated in the epoxy and never cure?If you could ,list the 3 finishes and give the variety of colorants you could use with each one..Scott Holmes, if your out there jump right in.As always thanks for any and all responses..Rob

Which red did you try? There's red Mahogany (which is rust colored), and then there's bright red...which is pretty red.

Robert,

I use either TransTint dyes or Mixol (universal tints) in epoxy. I too would be concerned with artist paints because they have a binder that may not be compatible with the epoxy. I don't use artist oil paints as tints so I can't say how they work. Others may have used them. I'm sure they would work in oil based finishes.

In shellac and lacquer I use TransTint dye.

In glazes and fillers it may be TransTint or Mixol or TransFast.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I have bought color additives from West System for use on window sashes. Their tech line is as good as tech lines get if you have an unusual situation. If they do not have an answer they will come up with one and call you back. Great company.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by robert raess View Post
    I am trying 3 mediums: Shellac,Lacquer and Zpoxy[used in finishing guitars], and coloring/tinting each with these three colorants:Universal tints,metal acid dyes[transtint],and artist oils.I have a no. of ques.'s re. compatibility with each of these mediums.I have tinted epoxy with universal tints and never had a problem.The universal tints i have seen [and have on hand] are not as vibrant i.e., red isn't red it's rusty or terracotta red.If you were to use artist oils mixed in epoxy, wouldn't they become encapsulated in the epoxy and never cure?If you could ,list the 3 finishes and give the variety of colorants you could use with each one..Scott Holmes, if your out there jump right in.As always thanks for any and all responses..Rob
    Ok, sounds like your trying to make both transparent and opaque finishes, Metal dyes are fine for the transparent work in both shellac and lacquer, follow Scott on those. As to opaque epoxy, most all marine finishing supply houses carry both pigments and dyes for it, which when mixed can give you total opacity or semi transparent if that is something you want - keep in mind they are very concentrated and just a little bit will turn your color easily from one hue to another. Having worked as the finisher for lashbrook guitars and others, i used polyester base coats and finished off with 2K urethane's. That gives the look of instruments like Paul reed smith and others using like materials.

Now if your talking "accustic" guitars, then by all means stick with good musical instrument lacquers and vinyl sealers such as CF martin uses, especially on the sound boards ok? Shellac can be used in conjunction, but to me it adds to much brightness in the higher frequencies, but that's my ear.
    Sincerely,

S.Q.P - SAM - CHEMMY.......... Almost 50 years in this art and trade and counting...

There's an article on the West Systems site that shows thorough testing on mixing various pigments and dyes with their materials. IIRC, final answer was that all tested were pretty much OK to use.