Thread: polishing Corian?

polishing Corian?

This is not strictly woodworking so feel free to move if you wish. What's a good way to achive a gloss finish on Corian? I found a source of Corian scraps and may make a small table with a Corian top. I was thinking plastic polish and buffing pad on an electric drill. Better materials/ideas?

Many years ago I scavenged some old Corian counter tops a neighbor was throwing out. They were in fairly rough shape with lots of cuts and scratches. I treated it just like it was a piece of wood and started sanding with progressively smaller grit sand paper going up to 1200 grit wet/dry paper. As a final step, I used some rubbing compound with a heavy duty Dewalt polisher. The Corian looked like brand new when I was done.

There are products that will do it. You first sand out any scratches with 220 grit. then there is a progression of sanding with 60,30,15 microns. Then polishes that remove big scratches, and one that removes fine scrathes. They sell the polishes on ebay, Its called Novus they probably have the sandpaper also.

Bob

A white Scotchbrite pad on a Random Orbit Sander, with a bit of water, works miracles. Done it several times.

sent you a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Ancona View Post
    sent you a pm
    Must be a secret method.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Depending on the color, it can be difficult to achieve a high gloss finish without the proper equipment. There is a reason that solid surface manufacturers require that you take a course to become a fabricator.

I myself have several bottles of a liquid that is used for polishing corian. I use it on the corian pens that I make and it is wonderful. Used with an orbital polisher would do wonders on a countertop. Home depot used to sell this stuff and then they discontinued it. Needless to say I got it cheap. Almost like a EEE compound but liquid instead of a solid paste. If you would like more info on this let me know and I wll get you the name of the stuff.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

I think I have tried just about every technique possible polishing Corian.

Buffing compound.
    Trizac Disks on an ROS.
    Micro Mesh pads.
    Hopps polish.
    Scotch 3M pads on an ROS.

They all work well, the best one to use is based on the size of your project and a couple other variables. Large signs are best polished with 3M Trizac disks on an ROS using a light water spray. I use buffing compound to polish contoured edges. I use micro mesh pads to hand polish dye-sublimated logos and for Corian pens.

Gel-Gloss is available at most Borg centers.

Thanks everyone. You've given me a number of things to experiment with.