Thread: IndyFEST Hand Plane Update:

IndyFEST Hand Plane Update:

Well everything is now here, prizes, wood, etc… We are planning to start around 1:30 on April 30th at Ray Thompson’s IndyFEST, just outside Indianapolis. More on the rules to follow, but you will be planing cherry donated my Frank Miller Lumber Company in Union City, Indiana. The cherry is surfaced on all four sides and 1-21/32” thick so just over 1-5/8”. A #3 plane will work, but leaves very little margin for error. I’ve tried most all my planes, #3 thur #7 and really don’t have a favorite. We will weight the stand at Ray’s, but in the shop it likes to move making it much harder to plane. Getting a full length/full with shaving is difficult with the board moving. So I’m sure weighting the frame will solve that problem. The trial will be timed so each contestant can take as many shavings or as few as he or she can in the time allowed. The key to a good thin shaving is a very sharp blade – surprise. More on the rules will follow, but now you know what you are going to plane so get everything good and sharp.

John

John, looks like a great time. I wish I was still back in Indiana. I would have loved to make the trip down South to see this event. Have fun.