Thread: Bookshelf depth?

Bookshelf depth?

Hello everyone. I'm looking for an assist and will thank you kindly in advance for any help. I'm building some bookshelves for the neighbors to flank their fireplace. I'm looking at a maximum of 9" for the depth of the shelves. Because of the overall fireplace design I would like to cut that back to 8". That would be 8" of actual shelf space, not including back panel or face frame. Seems to me that this would be functional for storing books and the other stuff, but thought it might be wise if I check with folks who might know more about this than I do.

Thanks.

Larry

I always ask people what their "bookshelves" will be used for . Get answers like "bowling trophys".For books I would not go under nine.That will take probably 80 percent or more of their books .They will need some space somewhere for quarto and folio size.I agree with you that the deep shelves so often used do not look as good.We are in a small minority.

Blog Entries
    I just took a quick measurement; my Merriam Webster dictionary is 7.5" I have several other books on the shelf that under 7". These are in my office at work. Looks like an 8" shelf would work but I agree with asking client what they intend to put on the shelf. They may have a favorite curio that is 8.1"

Thanks for the quick responses. Neighbors say only books. If it were mine I would go with 8", but 9" is probably going to be safer. I think I will take over a couple pieces of ply so they can visualize the difference.

Jim, I have a brother-in-law who lives in Plano. I think that is in your neck of the woods. My mother was originally from El Paso. A long, long way from Houston, but still in Texas.

Thanks again.

Larry

Larry,if you think the fireplace is going to look too far back you could add a board(jam leg) to each side a couple inches back to give it it's own separate frame.Could be just a board or a board furred out some and faced with moulding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Larry,if you think the fireplace is going to look too far back you could add a board(jam leg) to each side a couple inches back to give it it's own separate frame.Could be just a board or a board furred out some and faced with moulding.
    Good idea. As of now, I am going to incorporate a fireplace surround with the flanking bookshelves. What started out as pretty basic is going to be a fun project.

Thanks.

Larry

It completely depends on what they plan on putting on the shelves. For most ordinary books, 8 inches is enough and the 12 inch shelves commonly used are too deep. Years ago I actually had shelves made that were only 6 inches deep so I could put them in a hallway to hold paperbacks.

And Plano is up near Dallas, about a 5-hour drive from Houston.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

Oops. Got my Texas cities mixed up a little there.

Larry, you say you're building bookcases for your neighbors but you don't say if they're freestanding or built in. If they're built in you can make them as shallow as you wish but if they're free standing yo have to worry about tipping.

Ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Whitlow View Post
    Oops. Got my Texas cities mixed up a little there.
    I lived north of Dallas for 25 years, very familiar with Plano. I actually worked in McKinney; lived in Sherman and Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Speed View Post
    Larry, you say you're building bookcases for your neighbors but you don't say if they're freestanding or built in. If they're built in you can make them as shallow as you wish but if they're free standing yo have to worry about tipping.

Ken

Built-in. Incorporated with a mantle and fireplace surround. Took some "props" over this morning. Going with 9".

Thanks.

Larry