Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Appliances

Kitchen Appliances

The washing machine thread reminded me...

My wife and I have decided that when we redo our kitchen we are going to spring for new appliances. Our dishwasher is 8 years old and is getting a little worn looking but works fine. Our microwave is at least 6 or 7 and the fridge is around 5. Gas stove is only 2, but we paid next to nothing for it net after a series of blunders on Home Depot/Whirlpool's part and selling our old electric stove and we hate trying to keep the light colored porcelain burner grates clean. Everything we have is white and we'd like to switch to stainless

We went window shopping a couple weeks ago. We really like the appearance of the GE stoves and microwaves. We're thinking of going with the top of the line standard line GE convection gas range or the entry level of the Profile line. Neither of us has used a convection oven but it sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. We'd get the matching microwave, nothing fancy needed there. Also looking at a GE fridge basically because we liked the features of their counter-depth side by side. Any comments on GE appliances in general? The salesman at a reputable local dealer said that's what he's got himself. Then again, he's a salesman so...

For a dishwasher I'm under the impression there's Bosch and there's everything else?

in dishwashers, Miele and Bosch are excellent names (that's what my anecdotal research revealed). The thing is the "European" styles tend to be a little smaller than the American styles.

I just replaced all the appliances in my kitchen. FWIW, Jennair and some other brands are having specials right now: buy a oven/mw + cook top --> get free dishwasher.

We're 6 - 8 months (I'm thinking) away from buying but I want to try to narrow down WHAT to buy so we don't have to spend a bunch of time during the crunch time figuring that part out.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    We're 6 - 8 months (I'm thinking) away from buying but I want to try to narrow down WHAT to buy so we don't have to spend a bunch of time during the crunch time figuring that part out.
    There are plenty of good deals on craigslist

+1 on Bosch dishwasher. Very quiet and seems reliable and while not cheap, not super $$$$.

My wife used to own a maid service, her advice is "Don't buy Stainless" it's impossible to keep clean, fingerprints, hand prints, it seems to attract them, and they stick out like a sore thumb.. You can't touch it without leaving a mark. If you have kids/grandchildren hand prints will be the norm.. And unless the fridge is low quality stainless (Chineseium) it won't hold a 'fridge magnet'
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I consider the lack of magnetism a plus

Blog Entries
    And unless the fridge is low quality stainless (Chineseium) it won't hold a 'fridge magnet'
    Isn't that why they make double sided Duck Tape?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My current house has GE profile, and I think the last one was GE monogram. Sadly, magnets do just barely adhere, so you still get stuff on the fridge, with the added bonus that it falls off a lot. The stuff has held up fine, but if I was starting from scratch with a clean slate...

-- I would definitely go Bosch or Miele for the DW; last time I compared, I think the Bosch edged out the Miele in my mind.

-- My ovens have been convection for the last 15 years, and I've always used convection rather than "normal" baking. That said, either I'm used to it or it doesn't make that much of a difference, since I don't have to adjust recipes for a faster cooking time. I find turkeys cook faster than the recipe calls for, but I'm more convinced that is because I do stuffing outside the bird and buy organic birds.

-- If I was buying another stove/rangetop, I'd probably go with a 36" or 48" Wolf with a flat top insert. But, I like cooking a lot--I'm guessing that may be overkill for a lot of folks.

-- I hate the current crop of refrigerators. I'm not sure why the powers that be decided everything should be put in the door--means the shelves are nearly useless. I hate to be cliche, but I'd probably go with a large Subzero--I want a fridge large enough to put a half sheet pan in, and I haven't found anything else that will do it.

-- Microwaves I really don't care much about. As long as it works and matches...

Matt, are you doing a cooktop or range?
    If cooktop, then my research led me to conclude that there is little difference in quality here.

I'm not sure why people are hepped up on Bosch dw's. IMHO, wash quality is a function of the detergent you use (and adding a little TSP if you wish). The biggest annoyance for me is that the racks tend to corrode and rust over time. I don't know that Bosch or Miele or anyone has found a solution to that. Also, my installer advises me that there's Bosch Chinese manufactured and Bosch German manufactured. Either way, make sure there's no long lead time on replacement parts - as is reputedly the case with some of the Korean brands (Samsung/LG).

If you are getting a wall oven, my installer also counselled me to get a double wall oven and a countertop MW, since the mw's are quicker to go, and pricey to replace when in-wall. This means more upfront $$, and I decided against it. Also, know that many newer breeds of mw's have convection features that make them basically small ovens. Nice thing is you can theoretically bake small things in them. Bad thing is they're as a class smaller than the one I'm used to using.

For a dishwasher I'm under the impression there's Bosch and there's everything else?
    I've said it before and I'll say it again...

I've had a Bosch DW for 12+ years, but I'd think twice about getting one again. My next DW will have a food grinder.
    (and just to forestall the inevitable comment: we DO scrape the plates before washing. Stuff still gets missed every now and then and clogs the inlets. Not to mention that anyone with kids knows that kids forget and cut corners so scraping isn't always perfect either...)

I've got my eye on a French-door type Fridge for our next fridge. I love the bottom-mount freezer and will not give it up. But I might consider a counter-depth unit, to make the kitchen feel a bit more open (we've got a galley-style kitchen) if we can find one with the right capacity.

best,
    ...art
    "It's Not About You."

We are getting a standard 30" range.

We originally wanted a french door fridge but two things. First, they are about $1000 more than a side by side. Second, the ice maker takes up fridge space instead of freezer space, and you loose pretty much all the door space on one door to the dispenser.

We're using a glass top ge convection oven (black not stainless) and the MIL is using the same thing in the profile line (the front is curved, no other difference between the two that I can see) . Both of us have been using them for about 7 years. I like the oven, the temp control is very accurate once it's preheated a while. Top is easy to clean, and no problems otherwise.

Why do women wear white at their wedding?

All kitchen appliances come in white

We are getting a standard 30" range.

We originally wanted a french door fridge but two things. First, they are about $1000 more than a side by side. Second, the ice maker takes up fridge space instead of freezer space, and you loose pretty much all the door space on one door to the dispenser.
    Prices on the french door units have come down a lot. I paid around $1,200 for mine in March 2011. My unit has the ice maker inside the fridge, but not in the door.