Thread: American Slider

American Slider

I don't know if this is a new machine or not but this is the first American branded slider I have seen.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19851

I wonder if this made in China or does PM sell a machine under license from someone else i.e. Laguna BS's? It's a little pricey in that you can get a Felder for the same price point. Maybe the US manufacturers are starting to catch on to the value of a slider!

That's interesting. I hope the other manufactures join in and provide competition. A win-win for the consumer!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just a side note, It's a shame the Woodcraft store in ABQ closed down. I went in there a few years ago and it wasn't very well stocked. I guess you have to go to Woodworker's Supply off I-25 these days. Are there any other good WW stores in ABQ?

Sadly, that saw is a Chaiwan. Powermatic tools have not been made in USA since WMH bought them.

Powermatic has sold sliders for some time now. They're not really taken seriously by your usual slider users, more for guy with the gold fetish and money to burn. I've seen their 10 footer and it is really just not up to the Euro standard, which would be okay if the price reflected that, but it doesn't. A16K Felder is lightyears ahead of a 16K Powermatic. IMO, an awful lot if PMs products are like that. Good, but over priced, commanding premium prices based on a legacy of years past.

Quote Originally Posted by howard s hanger View Post
    Just a side note, It's a shame the Woodcraft store in ABQ closed down. I went in there a few years ago and it wasn't very well stocked. I guess you have to go to Woodworker's Supply off I-25 these days. Are there any other good WW stores in ABQ?
    Howard, I was sad to see Woodcraft go. They opened up right about the time the economy started to head south and never really got a strong foothold. I've talked with a few local hobby woodworkers that didn't even know they were in town. TJ Hardware used to carry some Powermatic products, I bought my PM15 from them. Besides TJ, WW Supply is the only show in town AFAIK.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Sadly, that saw is a Chaiwan. Powermatic tools have not been made in USA since WMH bought them.
    Thanks. I kept looking for where it was stated that these were USA made. I thought maybe it was a poke back at the new Delta Unisaw that is made here. Oh pooh.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Delta made sliders 25 years ago. Saw one at a cabinet shop, it was larger than a Unisaw. Oliver made them too, I think someone just posted about buying one.

Rick Potter

Vega made them too in the 70s - not rebranded - mfg them in Decatur IL.

Vega Model 12

They also made a slider add on - Here is their slider table on a Uni

Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 08-25-2012 at 6:51 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm pretty sure the PM HPS 67 was a rebranded Robland, not made in Tiawan. Its no longer available and is not listed on PM's site any more. I knew a guy that had one in his small pro shop for years and he spoke very highly of it. Its no Altendorf, but its not $50K either. Most larger pro shops don't want a Felder any more than they want a PM. That PM slider was listed at @ $10K, so that puts it in competition with the Felder or similar, not in the real industrial class.

Check out the Robland site (http://www.robland.com/gb/panel-saws...ing-table-saws), see the E300? Look familiar?

IMO, no question it's a rebranded Roland. I had pictures side by side and besides a few cosmetic changes, it's exactly the same.

Peter and Howard are correct. Looks like a re-branded Robland E-300.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA