Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY drum sander plans

Thanks mreza, you did a great job on that!

You old post provides one answer to the question of cost. Depending on how well you scrounge, the quality of the components you use, and what the local used market looks like, you could theoretically spend more money building a drum sander than buying a used one. I bought a used 24" 5 hp, dual drum Grizzly for a little under $600 and last year a friend got same model in even better condition than mine for $400. I removed the conveyor AC gear motor and replaced it with a 1/4 hp DC gear motor that I bolted to the same mount, and wired in a DC controller both from eBay for a little under $100.

So with just a little cleaning and only minor modifications I ended up with a similar unit but with dual drums and larger 5 hp motor.
    Last edited by Alan Schaffter; 08-24-2012 at 9:11 PM.

You are right Alan, in the right market you can find used (and often better) ones for less than building from scratch.
    In the 8 years I've been in this part of Canada I've seen only once (or maybe twice) a used drum sander come up and both were smaller than mine and more expensive.
    Also, a lot of parts I bought for that project I bought online (some from US sources with large shipping cost) which I later learned I could buy locally much cheaper...

I bought one of these kits a while ago and just love the results. Russ

http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/d...works-kit.html