Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on mounting a compressor to a concrete floor

Dick,

It's on a pallet now and it's a pain. The pallet is much bigger than the compressor and I hope to tuck in a corner of a building and if the pallet was still attached it would take up twice the room that I have planned for it.

I am going to cut a couple pretty good sized holes in the wall for cooling air as it will be stuffed in a corner.
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............

I have a 7-1/2 horse ingersoll rand on an 80 gallon tank and it just sits on the rubber shock absorbing pads that came with it. No bolts or anything. been that way for 10 years or so.I would just cut some of the horse stall mats to set it on. Either one big chunk or one for each foot.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Steve, Huge difference between your situation and John's is you are in McKinney Texas, not exactly known for big earthquakes. No need to prevent large, heavy objects from tipping over. John however is in Penryn California (where the heck is that?), I don't know much about California other than it is known for having lots of earthquakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I have a 7-1/2 horse ingersoll rand on an 80 gallon tank and it just sits on the rubber shock absorbing pads that came with it. No bolts or anything. been that way for 10 years or so.I would just cut some of the horse stall mats to set it on. Either one big chunk or one for each foot.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I have mine just sitting on several squares a shop mat. If I lived where it was prone to getting knocked over, I'd probably do the same, but add some strapping at the top to the nearest wall. Something with a little slack to prevent transferring vibration to the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I have mine just sitting on several squares a shop mat. If I lived where it was prone to getting knocked over, I'd probably do the same, but add some strapping at the top to the nearest wall. Something with a little slack to prevent transferring vibration to the building.
    earthquake, I thought that your reason for adding a strap around the tank top WAS to prevent big kids from tipping the compressor over

Thought I would post a follow up with my solution.

I bolted a 6" x 6" piece of Trex to each leg of the compressor then attached a 1" thick piece of Rubber floor mat to that.

Just for safety's sake I attached a chain to the top of the compressor then to the overhead. I went away from a solid mount because the compressor does vibrate while running and I didn't want that to transfer to the building. With the chain if it does try to tip it cannot go very far.

Friend gave me a bad time about chaining the compressor, thought I was chaining up a big dog or something.

It works and it's nice and quiet in the back room.

With the Contactor wired in I can turn it on and off when needed from the main shop and there is an indicator light that is on so I might see it when I leave the shop at night so the compressor will not come on at night or when I am away.
    Last edited by John Cooper2; 09-20-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............