Thread: need to wire the new shop for 3 phase -- component suggestions sought

need to wire the new shop for 3 phase -- component suggestions sought

I have a 7.5 HP RPC and 3 pieces of 3 phase equipment...the largest of which is 5 HP (20" Jet Planer). I'm building a new shop and need to wire a 3 phase load center and the appropriate rough in for the equipment. I don't want to spend a fortune on this yet still want to wire it properly.

1. what brand load center would you buy and where's a good place to buy it?
    2. I'd be interseted in seeing how one cleanly wires in their RPC -- i.e. circuit from their 1 phase panel to the RPC to the 3 phase panel. Any advice here? Any pictures would be great.
    3. any advice on the best way to connect the equipment to the circuit? I'm thinking that a plug/recepticle is probably not the typical connection but i could be wrong.

Thanks,
    Bob C

Bob,

Depending on location, you may be able to find three phase boxes and breakers at the orange BORG. I got my Seimens box and four breakers there for about $200. While I think most people would agree that Square D probably makes the best stuff, the cost per pound approaches that of platinum.

In terms of hooking everything up, one of the best schematics I've ever seen was posted by a member over on the PM website. The pdf is attached.

It takes some effort to understand what is going on, but it makes your system very versatile. For instance, I have a 15hp RPC and I have one 10hp machine that it simply cannot start. So I hooked up an extra 5hp "idler" motor to one of the breakers in the panel; I start the RPC and then throw the breaker to the 5hp motor. The two combined have no trouble starting that 10hp machine. Once it's up to speed, I flip the breaker to the 5hp as the RPC then has no trouble running the 10hp on its own.

In terms of hooking your machines to the breaker panel, it is possible to just use a plug and wall socket combo, but only to a certain hp. IIRC, the NEC has a limit of either 2 or 3hp, larger than that and you need to go with a 3-phase service disconnect. I'm sure one of the professional sparkies will chime in. They sometimes turn up cheap on eBay and sometimes at Habitat for Humanity Restore places. Happy hunting.

Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

I bought a used 3ph box and breakers at a used electrical equipment dealer. I think the breakers were $30 apiece, while the load center was $90 or so. I use L15-20 locking plugs for my machines. I had an electrician put it all in--my wife didn't want me to burn down the house.

Kirk