Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: table saw fence

table saw fence

I need feedback from people that have either owned or used the shopfox G9220 or the biesemer bc50 fence system. I am going to have to buy a fence next month for my delta rockwell 12/14 inch table saw and right now money is tight but I am looking for input to see if the ~100 dollar difference is worth 100 bucks.

I have adjusted the fence that came with this saw, which is the original, and I just cant get it adjusted so that the lock down will work properly. If I get it to lock down then I cant move the fence, if I get it loose enough to move then it wont lock down. go figure.

any help appreciated.
    so far I have looked at the shopfox, bc50 and the vega pro 50L.
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Karl - I've actually owned the Biesemeyer 30", Vega Utility 26, and the Shop Fox Classic....all 3 are really nice fences that I could definitely live with. At even money my preference is for the Biese, but at market prices with my current budget, I'd lean toward Vega Pro 50 @ $265 shipped, which saves even more.

Functionally, the Shop Fox Classic is the same as the Biese....in use it works as well, though my Biese had a better fit and finish, and I preferred the laminated faces to the UHMW plastic faces....not a $100 difference IMO if the budget is tight.

The Vega has a nice microadjust feature that works great....the design is a little different from the Biese, but it works very well.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 08-29-2012 at 7:01 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have owned several Shop Fox Classic fences. I never have had a problem with any of them. I have never used the Biesemeyer, but based on my experience with the Shop Fox I don't think it is worth the extra $100. I guess I have one complaint about the Shop Fox. The magnified cursor is horrible. I have seen where other people have used the one off the Biesemeyer. I made my own.

You might want to check out Allan Little's (Askwoodman.com) new business venture, VerySuperCooltools.com. His first product to market is a Bisemeyer-type fence, made from welded steel and with a unique aluminum extrusion fence. It's based on a series of videos he made on YouTube showing how to make a Bisemeyer-type fence. I have no affiliation with him, other than subscribing to his YouTube channel.

While not called the shop fox at the time it's the same. I have that fence on my 1023slx from griz and she's going on 8 years old (hard to believe). Never had to adjust it once I zero'd it in . It's a bessy clone works fine.

I have a couple Beis fences and they really do work well. I have not tried the Shop Fox, but have an extra Jet Exacta fence which was supposed to be decent....but is really just a crappy copy. If possible I'd see if there are any Creekers local to you that'll let you test it for yourself!

good luck,
    JeffD

Jeff - The Jet Xacta II is an improvement on the original Xacta fence, and is a nice fence. It's the same as the HTC and the PM Accufence. I still prefer the laminated faces on the Biese, but my Xacta II is otherwise pretty comparable IMO.

Test driving another Creeker's fence is an excellent idea!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

My 0444Z TS has the Shop Fox Classic. I'm very well pleased with the fence.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    ...so far I have looked at the shopfox, bc50 and the vega pro 50L.
    So the Vega is out of the question? Was it priced higher than the other two? Just curious because I've got one on my 80's Craftsman saw and love it.

I had a shop fox classic fence for several years, and then I got a 22124 that came with a bc30. Both are good fences, but I liked the shop fox better. It was heavier, and I preferred the slippery UHMW plastic faces to the laminated faces, but it's just a personal preference - the bc30 is a great fence, too.

I've had Biesemeyer and Shop Fox. I liked the Bies better. Better fit and finish, better cursor, flatter fence plates.
    JR

I have the newer version Bies on my 12-14. I chose it because the rails can be moved right and left rather than bolted since they are attached to T slots. I wanted ample left side capability since the saw is right tilt and the new version accomplishes that more easily. I find I use the left side a lot now. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Turner View Post
    So the Vega is out of the question? Was it priced higher than the other two? Just curious because I've got one on my 80's Craftsman saw and love it.
    The Vega pro 50L I could not find info on when I googled it. All I could find was the vega pro 50. Not exactly sure what the difference is though.

When I did a search for fences on google I dont remember the other fences mentioned showing up in a google search so I will research them too and see what happens.
    Something else I am finding out though is that I think grizzly had the shop fox for 299 but had shipping extra but on the beis it was ~419 but no shipping. So that is what I am watching out for too.
    One last request, if anyone knows a site where any of the mentioned fences are much better prices than normal, let me know.

Thanks alot for the info..
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Karl - I've actually owned the Biesemeyer 30", Vega Utility 26, and the Shop Fox Classic....all 3 are really nice fences that I could definitely live with. At even money my preference is for the Biese, but at market prices with my current budget, I'd lean toward Vega Pro 50 @ $265 shipped, which saves even more.

+1 When I was buying a fence years ago I was in the same position and went with a Vego (U50 IIRC) and liked it a lot. Saved me some cash and it worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Card View Post
    The Vega pro 50L I could not find info on when I googled it. All I could find was the vega pro 50. Not exactly sure what the difference is though.

When I did a search for fences on google I dont remember the other fences mentioned showing up in a google search so I will research them too and see what happens.
    Something else I am finding out though is that I think grizzly had the shop fox for 299 but had shipping extra but on the beis it was ~419 but no shipping. So that is what I am watching out for too.
    One last request, if anyone knows a site where any of the mentioned fences are much better prices than normal, let me know.

Thanks alot for the info..

From Vega's website:
    ~MODEL PRO 26, PRO 40, and PRO 50
    "The Professional Model features the ruggedness and durability for Commercial production requirement, yet is extremely refined for the serious woodworker's needs and wants. With larger components and greater rigidity, the Professional Model is designed for 10 - 12" Saws cutting heavier materials and commercial use. The Vega retrofit Saw Fence System is available with 26", 40" or 50" rip capacity to the right of the blade and 10" to the left, with a standard fence length of 42" on models PRO 26, PRO 40, and PRO 50. For saw tables between 34 and 42 inches deep, the PRO 26L, PRO 40L, AND PRO 50L ARE available featuring a 50" fence bar."

It looks like the length of the fence tube is the difference, not rip capacity.