Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music in my shop.

I bought a car with a lifetime Serius Satellite subscription...bought another Serius receiver for the shop..any kind of music I want worry free

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Soldevilla View Post
    I also use my Iphone thru an amplifier, with the tunein radio app. which I listen to coast to coast am 24/7, which is great since this is a late late night early morning show i would otherwise not be awake to listen to. plus the myriad of podcasts i enjoy as well as my full library of music. There is no shortage of audio pleasure in my shop.
    Tell you what, C2CAM is one of the things I miss about working the overnight shift. Last time I looked, to stream the show from their website required $, and I don't know if I missed it that much, though. I'll have to look at the Tunein thing - do you need an Iphone for that, or can I do something with my computer?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I have been through many trials with this over the last 25 years. Currently I have Internet available in my shop so stream my favorite NPR station for news and information all the time. I had XM for a while and also like pandora. I cannot stand commercial radio; the ads are intolerable and the music is only slightly better. Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lapp View Post
    I have been through many trials with this over the last 25 years. Currently I have Internet available in my shop so stream my favorite NPR station for news and information all the time. I had XM for a while and also like pandora. I cannot stand commercial radio; the ads are intolerable and the music is only slightly better. Rick.
    I find commercial radio's music much worse than Pandora or XM. They play "popular", not music.

I actually just took my netbook down to my basement with wifi and was able to get Pandora down there. I gotta say, listening to jazz whilst wood working was nice until I frustrated myself to no end (but that's another story).

Once I get my workbench done, though, I'll probably take my big computer with my 5 speaker Klipsch system down to the basement and run a hardline over to it. Then I can have better sound quality. :-D
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 09-02-2012 at 9:10 PM.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Tell you what, C2CAM is one of the things I miss about working the overnight shift. Last time I looked, to stream the show from their website required $, and I don't know if I missed it that much, though. I'll have to look at the Tunein thing - do you need an Iphone for that, or can I do something with my computer?
    Yes you should be able to put tunein on you computer. There is a station in there that is called funklbaldy radio. He will play the show from the previous night a couple times a day with all the commercials cut out, and then fills in the rest of time with other random shows from the past Always fun to here Art Bell in there. Additionally you can get any radio station that has a web stream and there are a few that have replays before the show comes on at 1am. give it a try then you can figure out if you miss it or not.

Wireless from the house - Sirius on my I-Pod (car subscription allowed on laptop and I Pod) - couple of speakers to let it rip - Life is GRAND!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

If I am cleaning shop or just doing general shop maintenance I'll tune in a sport station. Otherwise I put on my ear protection, eye protection and focus on the work at hand, completely focused on the work at hand and oblivious to the world beyond my shop.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Bose SoundDock II with my iPod. Hard to beat Ronnie Earl, Joe B., Tab Benoit, Brian Hughes, The Hellecasters, Jimmy Thackery (is there a guitar theme here?).................... I really like the remote with the unit..........
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I have a serious Sirius addiction. All of our cars have Sirius radio in them, and when I am in the shop here at home, I get Sirius over the internet.

Pandora is good, too.

If you have a good internet connection, there is no reason to suffer through commercial broadcast radio, which is really hard to listen to these days.

+1 on streaming Pandora. Though I stream on my cell phone. Music goes anywhere I go. I really enjoy how Pandora leads you to stuff you may have forgotten or never new about. I find wireless had phones make the most sense in a larger, louder shop.

Music in my shop is a MUST HAVE. I switched from FM to live feeds from Live365 ans another internet station I support and get live feeds from commercial free. Have some cheap Klispch speakers but plan on building some new speakers for the house and then bringing some vintage JBL's out to the shop. Have a vintyage Marantz receiver as well.

I usually listen to a playlist of my MP3 collection or Sirius playing on my laptop. The audio-out from the computer goes into my old Onkyo driving a pair of Advent speakers in the shop. But I also have a small FM transmitter wired into the amplifier which lets me listen over my WorkTunes ear muffs. (These are also great for running the mower.) Using the transmitter also allows me using a small receiver and ear budds, to listen while working around or on the house.
    Jim.

Eric,
    I stream from the internet. Skyfm. It is free and has the music I like.
    The ground or negative I guess it is.
    The plug ins I have had 3 wires. red, white and a bare wrapped around with the insulation.
    I figured this was a ground or negative wire.
    Anyway it works without buzzing.

The only problem I had was that every compute sound came through the speakers.
    I turned off all the computer sounds and no problems.
    I had a little problem with my on-line poker site but I got that fixed also.

My shop radio is tuned to the local 80's rock station - they play 50 minutes of music an hour so the ads are minimal. God I miss that era!

I have a nice Onkyo receiver/amp which drives a pair of large JBL speakers. I tune in 104.7 out of Las Vegas and listen to 60's, 70's, and 80's music. This is heaven for me.
    Best Regards,

Gordon