Thread: How do you keep your spar varnish from spoiling?

How do you keep your spar varnish from spoiling?

We use a lot of spar varnish. But it's rare to use an entire quart within 2 or 3 days. And after about the 3rd or 4th day, when we reopen a can we find that it's started to gel. And once it's started, there's no stopping it. Time to toss it out.

How do you keep your varnish from spoiling? Ideally, it would be sold in plastic airtight pouches with a resealable nipple or pour spout. You could pour out what you need and recap the container without ever letting air into the container.

Until that time, what's your solution??

Yes, this is a problem. I buy in quarts now myself (instead of gallons) as it costs to much to let it go bad. I like your "pouch" idea. Patent it for varnish.

Someone makes this stuff you can spray into the can before you close it - it's heavier than air. Other put marbles in the can. I just breathe (carbon dioxide is heavier than air) a heavy breath of air into the can, slowly, then close the lid.

Pour a splash of mineral spirits (or other compatible solvent) on top of the finish before replacing the lid.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

"Someone makes this stuff you can spray into the can before you close it - it's heavier than air." Bloxogen if I spelled it correctly. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    "Someone makes this stuff you can spray into the can before you close it - it's heavier than air." Bloxogen if I spelled it correctly. It works.
    Or, go to your local wine/liquor store and ask for spray wine preservative. Same as Bloxygen (argon gas) but less expensive.
    "A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

I use one of those eye dropper type things and carefully spread a layer of mineral spirits on the surface. Move the can to storage very gently so as not to disturb the layer of MS. This is good for many weeks, not months. I do this for all varnishes, not just spar.

I make sure the rim is 100% free of any material, then pound it on tight and flip the can upside down.
    It's good for a day or so. or until the can gets down to about 1/4 full.

You'll want to make sure you stick it inside and empty plastic pail just to be on the safe side...

However - I need to add that the spar I use all the time is McCloskey Boat Coat.
    I bought 25 gallons of it back in 1986 or 87, so it was made well before any of the more recent VOC regulations went into effect.