Thread: Dust Collector Bags Question

Dust Collector Bags Question

I currently have two Jet dust collectors. One is a 3hp double bag (1900 cfm) older blue paint (15 years old?) and one is a 1 1/2 hp single (7-8 years old)(1100 cfm). They both have the original bags which I am guessing is 5 micron. The 1 1/2 is dedicated to the table saw, however the 3 hp I use on a drum sander, planer, jointer and down draft table. I am guessing the original bags are 5 micron. Not too worried about the 1 1/2 hp as it is not used for any sanding only the table saw. I was thinking of replacing the 3 hp with the one micron Big Horn bags on Amazon. Then putting the clear plastic bags on the bottom. I do have a Thien separator before the 3hp that works very well. Has anyone used the Big Horn bags and are they "acceptable"? Will I loose significant cfm if I use the plastic bags on the lower?

Don't know if this should be posted in workshops or not.

I replaced my original fiber bags (not sure what micron it was) on my Jet 1100 cfm dust collector with a plastic bag (Platte River) from (I think I remember right) Woodworkers Hardware. Before, every time I started up the unit, I could see dust rise out of the sides of the old bag. Not so with the new plastic. Whether that's efficient, effective or whatever, I don't know. But since I don't see the dust coming out I hope I'm better off, but I wonder about it. The chips, dust and particles are still being caught in the bag, so it works.

I replaced the bags (2) on my HF DC with the felted bags from Highland Woodworking. I am WELL pleased with the changeover.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.