Thread: Best HVLP Conversion gun

Best HVLP Conversion gun

I've been using a cheap spray gun from Lowes for a little while and am looking for a nicer one. I've got a big compressor so thats not an issue. Anyone have a favorite HVLP gun? I'd like some versitality to spray water and oil based finishes.

I've been happy with my Sata guns.

edit: oops - they're not HVLP conversions guns - they're reduced pressure guns.

I have a Walcom setup that I am very happy with. It is a pressure-pot based setup and it has served me well for years. Very fine controls and a nice range of adjustability from a very fine coat to really laying it down. If you can pull it off and depending on what you will be spraying, I highly recommend looking into a pressure-pot setup. You can spray upside down and all the excess weight of the finish is in the pot as opposed to on the gun. I used syphon-feed guns for a while and I will never go back. If you tend to spray smaller stuff you could also look at a gravity feed. If you spray cabinets though there is just no beating the compact size of the gun hooked up to a pressure-pot.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I was mostly looking at gravity feed guns. I don't spray large enough things to have the weight of the cup bother me.

Blog Entries
    Whenever I see these "Which gun should I buy" threads, I always say to give Jeff Jewitt a call over at Homestead Finishing. He is really a great guy and will ask you a few questions and recommend a gun to suit your needs. I think others will give this advise a +1 as well.
    There is a forum on his web site that is pretty much dedicated to this one question. I would check that out as well.
    http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Whenever I see these "Which gun should I buy" threads, I always say to give Jeff Jewitt a call over at Homestead Finishing. He is really a great guy and will ask you a few questions and recommend a gun to suit your needs. I think others will give this advise a +1 as well.
    There is a forum on his web site that is pretty much dedicated to this one question. I would check that out as well.
    http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/
    This is exactly how I ended up with my Walcom setup. +1 to what Larry said.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

It's difficult to go wrong following Jeff's advice.

i have not had the same satisfaction as you guys when dealing with jeff. with so many different manufactures of gun out there how can one person with limited suppliers be the best source of info. i would look to a bigger company like spray gun world. they have a much bigger selection and i believe bigger knowledge base and will be able to get you the right gun based on your particular needs.

Why does it seem like all of these spray gun websites look like they are 10 years old? SprayGunWorld's site makes my eyes hurt. And Homesteadfinishing makes you call or fax your order in? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    Why does it seem like all of these spray gun websites look like they are 10 years old? SprayGunWorld's site makes my eyes hurt. And Homesteadfinishing makes you call or fax your order in? Really?
    Web ordering? It's Jeff and (what I suspect) is his wife running the show over there. I call over there and I can get Jeff on the phone pretty readily and at least 50% of the time it is him that answers the first time - no phone maze, no anonymous web ordering, none of that nonsense. You get the guy who wrote the books that we all use as reference. Not a guy who sounds like him. Not a Jeff "representative". Not a guy who can take your question and get back to you. Not a guy who reads from the book. The guy who WROTE the book -- and he answers questions even if you don't buy anything. I don't know, for my $$ I will give up web ordering in exchange for that.
    -Bill Watterson

-W. C. Fields

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Web ordering? It's Jeff and (what I suspect) is his wife running the show over there. I call over there and I can get Jeff on the phone pretty readily and at least 50% of the time it is him that answers the first time - no phone maze, no anonymous web ordering, none of that nonsense. You get the guy who wrote the books that we all use as reference. Not a guy who sounds like him. Not a Jeff "representative". Not a guy who can take your question and get back to you. Not a guy who reads from the book. The guy who WROTE the book -- and he answers questions even if you don't buy anything. I don't know, for my $$ I will give up web ordering in exchange for that.
    +++1 for that Larry!

My feeling is that Jeff carries a nice selection of guns and that he keeps up to date on the latest developments in the market. If he doesn't happen to carry the exact thing you are looking for, he can either get it or tell you where to get it. He never seem to run out of patience, even though I ask, what to him may be a really dumb question. I only wish I could give him more business, so I try to at least send others to him.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-07-2012 at 2:14 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I bought my CA Tech Jaguar SLP gun from Jeff Jewitt and have been very pleased with the results I've gotten with it. Yes the ordering is "old school", but I think Jeff is very knowledgable and won't steer you wrong, at least that was my experience.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Web ordering? It's Jeff and (what I suspect) is his wife running the show over there.
    That's all the more reason to use a proper web store front. They wouldn't be wasting all their time copying orders off of faxes, writing down web orders and what-not.

I don't want to talk to any salesman, and yes if I'm buying something from them they are a salesman. I don't care if they 'wrote the book' or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim German View Post
    That's all the more reason to use a proper web store front. They wouldn't be wasting all their time copying orders off of faxes, writing down web orders and what-not.

I don't want to talk to any salesman, and yes if I'm buying something from them they are a salesman. I don't care if they 'wrote the book' or not.
    I much prefer talking to a real human than a computer. I think everyone who buys from him is well aware that he is trying to sell them something. Nothing wrong with that.
    You must be from the under 40 crowd.

BTW, I think Amazon sells a large selection of HVLP conversion guns.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 09-10-2012 at 2:43 PM.
    Larry J Browning

You might try harbor freights web store front. I've not actually spoke with a human over there but there ads say their hvlp guns are great.