Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to move shop across country

1. How to move shop across country

I am moving across the country (Ohio to Idaho). Would like to move my home shop, which is fairly small (Contractors table saw, 105 hp DC, lunchbox planer, drill press, the usual portable powertools and some nice handtools), but still a bit daunting. I also have quite an accumultion of hardware, fasteners, finishing products etc. Looks like there will be space for a home shop in my new home (garage shop rather than basement, most likely). Will use professional home movers. Does anyone have any advice or lessons learned from similar moves? Is theft enroute an issue? Damage? Better to sell anything and buy new at destination? Tips for getting up and running at new destination?
    Thanks

You might need a separate truck for that hugmongeous dust collector. 105 hp!!!

sorry, couldn't resist.

My only real suggestion is that you pack everything yourself, and don't mark the contents of the box, just the location on where you want them to go when you get there. It wouldn't hurt to number a few of the boxes so you know what's in some of the more important ones. It took me at least a year after moving in to get the time to set up shop. In the mean time, I was digging through boxes to find stuff I needed.

Just some advice

Buy moving insurance. The crapola insurance the movers offer is only pennies per POUND. No basis on value. That goes for everything you're moving, not just the shop. Read the fine print.
    Bill

The only things that would any special treatment for packing are jointer, drill press, tablesaw fence. Basically if you want cast iron to remain flat then don't carry it on the edges and don't set anything on the ends (jointer). The drill press just needs to be broken down a bit as does the tablesaw fence.

During my move, I disassembled the TS into fence/saw/wings and braced the motor like when new. On a contractor saw, I'd just remove the motor and pack it seperate. Other machines were similarly disassembled. I waxed all my cast iron with a thick coat and didn't wipe it down, just let it dry thick. My tools were going to be stored for a while also.
    I bought a couple of large, deep, plastic toolboxes which I packed myself with my handtools. I did make a couple of small crates to hold straight edges and my jointer fence.
    Finally, I stuck my fingers in my ears, closed my eyes and said "lalalalala" until it was all in the truck ... Actually, they did knock my TS cabinet over into my jointer. By the time the noise stopped, they were both tables down on the concrete. I spent lots of time on the other end checking them out, but both were/are fine. I think the hours of effort I put in paid off in all my equipment coming out fine.
    I figured that even if I had to replace some significant parts (TS table for example), it would still be cheaper than the loss I would take on a sell-rebuy cycle on all the equipment.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Forgot to mention the small hardware. I didn't spend much time on that. I put all my small plastic drawer units in a box and marked it super fragile, this side up, careful, etc. But, at the other end 90% of the hardware was in the bottom of the box. Took me a few hours (in front of the tube) to re-sort it, but it probably wound up better than it was.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

The moving company may have rules about flammables.

Steve

What Bill said. Typical insurance is 60 cents per pound. That's not going to cover you TS if it is damaged.
    Wes Newman

"Where did all of my money go? "

Tom, be advised that it is usual for the moving company NOT to be responsible for damage for something you packed yourself.

A lot depends if you are paying for packing or if your company is paying. Packing can cost quite a bit. If you company is paying for the packing, let the moving company pack your tools and equipment. It is best to remove all attachments (fences, chucks, blades, etc.). I would also recommend that you photograph all your tools prior to packing (just lay them out) ... its either that or have them carefully itemize each tool. Keep your tool receipts ... don't pack them into the truck. If you pack yourself, don't put too much weight in each box. Definitely get "replacement value" insurance with the mover.

I have moved across Canada and back and forth to the States too many times to count, so have some experience with this.
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

be careful

Be careful. I ended up in the hospital after too hard a day when I retired.. Never have been able to get all that wood accessible. Harry

Several years ago I made a similar move, and I packed a whole bunch of hand tools in a crate. I made the mistake of labeling the crate with the contents. At the end of the move, I got back an empty crate.

There was obvious theft here, but it was torture to try to collect from the mover, insurance or not. ....never did anywhere near full value.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gattiker
    I am moving across the country (Ohio to Idaho). Would like to move my home shop, which is fairly small (Contractors table saw, 105 hp DC, lunchbox planer, drill press, the usual portable powertools and some nice handtools), but still a bit daunting. I also have quite an accumultion of hardware, fasteners, finishing products etc. Looks like there will be space for a home shop in my new home (garage shop rather than basement, most likely). Will use professional home movers. Does anyone have any advice or lessons learned from similar moves? Is theft enroute an issue? Damage? Better to sell anything and buy new at destination? Tips for getting up and running at new destination?
    Thanks
    I just moved two months ago from Maryland to Alto, GA. I used a "u-pack, we move" service called Moveamerica.com. I opted against movers because I did not want my stuff damaged. Quite frankly, I simply won't allow anyone else to touch my machinery. MoveAmerica.com utilized the services of Overnight Trucking for the truck and trailer. They dropped a 28 foot semi-truck trailer at my garage door. I loaded everthing with the help of 2 friends. We built a 4' x 16' long ramp to get everything in. I made ski's for all the machinery out of 2" x 4"s and screwed them to the machinery with drywall screws. Then I simply used wood dowels to roll them on. We made framework out of 2" x 4"s and 2" x 6's that were sandwiched between the machines and the wall so all would be held against the wall with the 16 e-track clips that cost me $220-. I didn't care how much it cost, as my shop is my living, and I wanted the stuff secured properly. I secured two cabinet saws, milling machine, pantograph, 2 metal lathes, paasche 2' x 5' freestanding spray booth, air compressor, various other smaller machinery; dust collectors, vacuums, belt sander, drill press, rolling tool cabinets, and tons of wood stock. After the shop was loaded, we then proceeded to load the house; 2 living room sets, 3 bedroom sets, office, big screen tv, dining room, and a baby grand piano! Oh yeah, and don't forget the 3 cats and two dogs! I almost cannot believe how much stuff we have collected in the last 6 years. After the floor level was stuffed full, we slid the 16 foot ramp in on top of 3 load bars spread out evenly over the length of the ramp, and created a second story in the truck per se, and then loaded the furniture on top of that. After it was all packed, we put up two pieces of plywood across the back of the truck, and then two more load bars. We then secured the plywood to the load bars...so when you open the door of the truck, all you can see is the load bars and the two pieces of plywood, thus forming a wall. There was about 2 feet of space left in the truck. Coincidentally, our stuff went right to the last e-track. We then put our own lock on the doors. The trick to doing this kind of move is to do it in the time that they give you to load & unload the truck, have everything packed, and have what you need before the truck arrives; plenty boxes, moving blankets, oversized garbage bags for pillows and furniture cushions, newspapers for packing breakables, etc. If you go over the time alloted for loading, there is a daily charge to which I was held ransom to get my stuff delivered. The trucks move 500 miles a day, and then get delivered to the nearest terminal. They will then call to arrange delivery. When it arrived the lock was still intact. Nothing had moved so much as an inch...no damage!
    I was unhappy with the communication between the trucking company, myself and moveamerica. The trucking company said there would be no extra charges, but moveamerica charged extra. When confronted about it, each company blamed the other, but I had to pay. The guy from moveamerica told me verbatim that if I wanted my life savings , I had to pay their ransom...and while I was making the decision it was another $75- a day + wiring fees. In this respect I was very dissapointed, but I guess $400- more for your life savings is cheap! Oh well, live and learn. In hindsight, I am just glad that they took good care of my stuff. If I have to move again, it will be a lot easier as now I know what to do, and everything needed for the move. Even after the problems, I will use their service again if I ever have to move. The initial cost for the move was $2184-, and then $30,000- insurance for $300-. I figured $30,000- insurance would be enough to make the driver be extra cautious. It was.

If you decide to do it this way, please feel free to email me for any advice.
    Last edited by Ted Harris; 05-08-2005 at 3:55 AM.
    Ted Harris
    Hollywood, Florida USA

Ted, thanks for the inforative post, I'm not sure what the extra charges were for? Maybe you can explain.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Ted, thanks for the inforative post, I'm not sure what the extra charges were for? Maybe you can explain.

Richard
    Well, that's whole 'nother story...but here goes. We were given 4 days to load the trailer...
    First off, I had to find a way to secure everything into the truck. That took a whole day because we had find and then drive about a 200 mile round trip to get the e-track clips necessary to clamp the machinery in. This all after I had spent several hours trying to find out what and where to get the straps that the track system in the truck was designed to be used with. The dispatcher at Overnight did not even know what they were called. Very frustrating... Then the next day we had to go and get the wood and supplies to build the ramp, and then build the ramp. Then it rained for a day and a half. After it stopped raining, we started loading the machinery, worked almost a full day, and then I fell off the back of the truck and sprained my ankle and tore a ligament. Taped it up and kept going, but had to go substantially slower. Never had time to go to the doctor or anything stupid like that! To this day, it still has not healed, but is getting better. Throughout this, I called Overnight and was told that increment weather was normal stuff and there would be no charges for the extra time. No big deal, they said. Just in case, I called MoveAmerica and was told that so long as Overnight added no charges, there would be none. I recorded names, extensions, phone numbers, times and content of calls word for word. Bottom line, I ended up having the trailer for an extra 4 days. When the truck arrived at the terminal in Gainesville, GA, the dispatcher called to arrange for drop off. When it did not show up, I called them back and the dispatcher said the truck was turned around on his way here to deliver it because of an outstanding balance, and that I should call MoveAmerica. So then I call MoveAmerica and they tell me the truck cannot be delivered because of an outstanding balance of $350- because of the extra days I had the trailer...so I give the guy everything from my records regarding my conversations with Overnight and the guy from MoveAmerica while back in Maryland. Then they supposedly call Overnight and the people I spoke to at Overnight never heard of me. Typical moving scam! Then I call Overnight and they say MoveAmerica is the cause of my extra charges, and MoveAmerica says that Overnight is the cause...typical bait and switch! The guy from MoveAmerica says that unless I pay the money, I ain't ever gonna get my stuff, and by the way, it's another $$80-+ a day while you decide. Okay, I wire the money that same day, which was a Wednesday, with a wiring fee of $25- for the wire..cost me like $375- or so. Okay, fine. They schedule delivery for the next business day, which is Thursday. The next morning the truck was supposedly on the way. After a couple hours it never came, and neither did a phone call...so I called the dispatcher back, and he said they could not deliver it because of money that was owed again. Unfriggin believable! The guy at MoveAmerica says that Overnight is now charging another $75- fee because MoveAmerica turned the driver around after scheduling delivery. So now I call MoveAmerica back, and they tell me if I wire the money the truck will be delivered on Friday. I say wait a minute!..I just wired you money yesterday and you never said anything about a fee for turning the driver around. He says sorry, but I have to pay! I'll give you one guess what I did!...and it cost me another $25- for the wire. Total cost above and beyond the original amount was about $475-. Funny thing is, prior to moving, I had just watched a special on 60 minutes or some show like that and it was about moving scams and extra charges. If I have to do it again, now I know the rules. That is the reason I posted this, to try and help someone else save money. I am not saying don't use the service, I am just saying to know the rules of the game you are playing before you play.
    Ted Harris
    Hollywood, Florida USA

Tom, I did exactly what you're going through last June. I loaded up my comeplete shop and moved from Maine to Colorado. I did not want to trust the house movers with my shop equipment mostly becauswe of the weight and their lack of ability to move machinery safely - regardless what they say. So, here's how I handled it. I bought an 8 X 18 foot double axel enclosed cargo trailer with a ramp type rear door similar to those "toy boxes" you see. I think I paid about $1700/1800 for it new.

I spent a few more bucks on a half dozen sheets of 3/4" CDX and relined the interior then fabricated some healthy hard points on the walls to afix my load binders. I loaded the entire shop (caring for weight distribution and balance) and strapped it all down with several load binders. For some items like my small mill and lathe I screwed a few 2x4 blocks to the floor to prevent load shifting. I camped out in the trailer at rest stops and truck stops on the trip across country spending maybe two nights in motels.

I got all my stuff safely across country at a cost way less than a mover might charge me. Of course there was quite a bit of work involved and my zig-zag trip included some stops at friends and my daughters place - it wasn't a straight shot across country. I drove carefully and, while pulling the trailer did cost me MPG's fuel wise, I still believe I made out in the long run. Also, by owning the trailer I wasn't beholden to some rental companys schedule as to how long I could keep it without incuring excess rental fees.

When I arrived at my new home in Colorado I backed the trailer up to the garage and hired some local college slaves to help empty the trailer. Then I put the trailer up for sale and a local building contractor bought it for $1300.
    Last edited by Jerry Crawford; 05-08-2005 at 2:32 PM.