Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do textbooks cost so much?

Blog Entries
    I understand that most textbooks are being offered as digital rentals. Most schools are offering them at a substantial discount. Another advantage of digital is that all of your textbooks can be loaded onto a single reader, allowing for a much lighter load when heading to the library to study. No hassle selling back the used books. I think you can easily pay for the reader in 1 or 2 semesters.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We got our daughter through pharmacy school on second hand books for the most part. We did have to buy a couple of new $400 books though. I think Rod hit it on the head though, it is a specialty item, and we all know how those cost.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Something he'll be learning about - economy of scale and to a certain degree elasticity

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Slimp View Post
    There is really no reason why they shouldn't go all digital.

Also, some text books can be rented. Maybe an avenue to check into in the future.
    They are and the publishers are pushing that. Problem for them is getting students to want to do it. I'm the only one in my class that downloaded the digital book for auditing... Also it eliminates the ability for a student to sell their books. So it should be no coincidence that publishers will soon force students to buy digital.

I bought all my books from students who didn't need them anymore. I always got them cheap.

Some things are just too obscure to be cheap. My daughter in seminary just paid $170 for a lexicon of New Testament Greek. How many of those get sold each year? And there are revised editions not because the New Testament changes, but because scholars continue to investigate what the words really meant.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

All of the above

"Why does the furniture you build cost so much?"

This reminds me of the question I get when people who have no clue about custom woodwork.
    By the way, I have worked 19 years in the binding business. I know why books cost a lot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John M Bailey View Post
    "Why does the furniture you build cost so much?"

This reminds me of the question I get when people who have no clue about custom woodwork.
    By the way, I have worked 19 years in the binding business. I know why books cost a lot.
    John brings up an interesting point. In India you can buy books with the same content for significantly less. They use significantly cheaper paper and bindings (same publisher).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    John brings up an interesting point. In India you can buy books with the same content for significantly less. They use significantly cheaper paper and bindings (same publisher).

Assuming that these are not pirated copies (which is a MAJOR problem), yes, this is true. A friend purchased a copy of an "international" textbook which had basically see-through pages (very difficult to read the text due to the text on the opposite side showing through), yet, the paper must have also been thicker, as the entire book was about twice the thickness of mine (same number of pages, though).

Glad to see that not much has changed since my college days.
    I thought then, and still believe, it is utter nonsense how much books cost. I will never be convinced that they are not really much more than an additional revenue stream for the colleges, and authors. I just don't buy it.
    Republishing books every year is dumb. It serves only to increase the sales distribution of the books and the payback to the author, whom often times was one of the Prof's at the school or was a tenured Prof at a more prestigious institution that local colleges were affiliated with.
    While it is true that some subjects can dynamically change in short periods of time. Most do not.
    I was especially galled when a 3 credit English class required NINE BOOKS! for the first semester alone when I was in college. In 1977 this was $500.00 for one 3 credit class. Over half the books were authored by faculty prof's. I bought the used ones and still 4.0'd the class.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Assuming that these are not pirated copies (which is a MAJOR problem), yes, this is true. A friend purchased a copy of an "international" textbook which had basically see-through pages (very difficult to read the text due to the text on the opposite side showing through), yet, the paper must have also been thicker, as the entire book was about twice the thickness of mine (same number of pages, though).

The reason the paper was thicker is that the cheap book uses uncoated lightweight paper. The more expensive paper is heavier, thinner, coated and cost a whole lot more.

I feel your pain. Our youngest daughter just graduated this past May and we spent a ton of money on books. There are times when you don't have a choice about what you pay for the books because the college bookstore may be the only place to find what you are looking for but the last two years we rented books from Chegg and she was able to download some of her books which was a substantial savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Publishers generally cover most or all of their expenses with copies sold in 1st world countries. A big reason they sell cheaper in 3rd world countries is piracy. Nobody would buy the book at full price and would buy a pirated copy instead. They would rather make a little money than none at all. Nobody in most 3rd world countries thinks twice about buying a book and selling copies of it. The publisher usually doesn't want to spend the money to take legal action in another country.

Microsoft sells Windows really cheap in 3rd world developing countries. Again, nobody would pay full price in those countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kerley View Post
    Because they can.

They have an audience that is forced to buy a book. Therefore, they can charge whatever they want.
    Prime example of supply/demand.

Not to mention that with student loans and such, it all gets thrown into the loan. So if a kid isn't having to bear the cost right now, it's hard for them to complain. Hell, federally backed student loans is one big contributor to why college expenses have risen so highly to begin with.
    Actually, tuition has slowed in recent years. In the late 90's, I was paying $30/credit hour at the community college. In 2006, tuition had gone up to $66/credit hour. Since 2006, it has 'only' risen to $82/credit hour.

In 2010, congress cut out the middle man, private lenders, and backed student loans directly. Until 2010, the feds backed privately issued student loans via guarantee agencies. The private lenders got their money plus interest either way. Pretty sweet deal for the lender, but bad deal for tax payers.
    Last edited by Greg Peterson; 09-08-2012 at 7:24 PM.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.