Thread: Dremel Multi Function tool bit the dust..

Dremel Multi Function tool bit the dust..

I was cutting out a section of drywall the other day & it just quit on me in mid cut.
    It was like some one had just pulled the plug or tripped the breaker.

All I can say is - it will not be missed....

All told, in my best guess-timate - it had , at best,,,5 hours of use on it.
    Most of the serious "grunt time" I put in w/a MF tool has been w/the cheap HF unit.

I'm way less than impressed with Dremel quality.
    First the switch on my 400 rotary tool started acting flaky, then the ball detent on my pistol grip cordless screwdriver fell out and now the MF tool has died a very premature death.

Thankfully the set of Imperial blades I bought for it will fit my Harbor Freight MF tool.

The Dremel MF tool is one to defiantly avoid.
    Among it's other fairly well published isssues, they don't appear to have a very long life.

Blog Entries
    With a 2 year warranty I guess you could just keep replacing them. Funny how the high end of this category (Fein) and the low end (HF) seem to do well. I am not a big HF fan but, did buy a $14 'Sawzall' to do some demolition work 7 years ago; it won't die. It runs rough, sounds like the gears are eating themselves alive but, just keeps going .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ain't it a shame. Dremel used to be a quality product (think Craftsman).
    It's kind like my old Ryobi belt sander. Danged thing won't quit, and if it did, I wouldn't know with what to replace it. (Remember. Ya don't end a sentence with a preposition.)
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Blog Entries
    I'm not surprised that it died, I used a Dremel multi tool at my daughters house that belonged to a contractor that was doing some other work for her. I used it about 10 minutes and it got too hot to hold onto. That was a major reason for not considering a Dremel Multi-Tool when I was shopping for one.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm not surprised that it died, I used a Dremel multi tool at my daughters house that belonged to a contractor that was doing some other work for her. I used it about 10 minutes and it got too hot to hold onto. That was a major reason for not considering a Dremel Multi-Tool when I was shopping for one.
    I had the same experience. I was helping someone with a project and they had a Dremel multi-tool, which I was using. Within a very short time, the unit got very hot. I had to keep moving my hand back on the tool, until at the end, I was almost holding it by the cord. Convinced me not to buy a Dremel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.