Thread: Transfast Extra Dark Walnut looks reddish - First time dying

Transfast Extra Dark Walnut looks reddish - First time dying

I sprayed Transfast extra dark walnut on two halves of a dining room table and 2 leaves. It's maple sanded to 320. One of the table ends has a much redder tint to it than the other, which is a dark brown. The dark brown one looks great, the other not so much. The only thing I could think of that would be different would be the soak time the dye had on the piece. Problem is I don't know if I should try to remove color from the redder piece or apply more dye.

Any suggestions? Kind of lost as it's my fist time using dyes.

Pics attached (colors are darker in person, crappy phone pic)

photo.jpg

You didn't say if this is new work or a refinishing job.

You may not have any idea... is the maple all from the same tree?

Same batch of dye correct?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Ah, forgot to mention it's a refinish. Both sides had the exact same procedure to remove the old finish(es).

I am assuming the butcher block top has boards from multiple trees, I think this table is circa 1950.

All the same batch of dye, same cup fill even. Shot within 20 minutes of eachother, the browner one done first.

Thanks for the reply Scott!

How did you remove the old finish?
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Paint Stripper (Neutralized), Sanded from 80 to 320, washed down with mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, then acetone in an attempt to get anything else out off the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Johnson Jax View Post
    Problem is I don't know if I should try to remove color from the redder piece or apply more dye.
    Try applying dye to the other side. Same mixture if possible. Worst case scenario, you're taking it back off anyway. Only thing I see with taking it off and reapplying is the wood below will probably take the same.

Yep, Jeff Jewitt also recommended adding another dye coat to the browner half (right side in pic).

If that gets them closer I will probably just roll with it since I am going to put a stain over top of the dye. I would think the stain will help even it out.