Thread: Our FIRST Sign

Our FIRST Sign

I know it doesn't look like much to you who have been doing this for awhile but to us it is a GREAT accomplishment. This is a sign with the bible verse requested by a local pastor. We ran it on mdf for now, we will finish it on wood. Please feel free to give any constructive criticism so that we may make it look great for the church.

First Sign.jpg
    God Bless,
    James & Zelma (Psalm 18:2)
    "Inscriptions Of The Heart"
    Texas
    ~A person is only as good as their word~

That looks great. Do you plan to do any fill or painting? What will your final choice of wood be?

We did, can't you tell? (hahaha) All suggestions are appreciated, we were thinking about using poplar. Seriously we don't know what we are doing, but I bet we get there. (I hope . . . and pray . . . a lot)
    God Bless,
    Texas

That looks great! You are definitely getting things under control. Congrats!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank you Bruce, we got a looong way to go, but we'll get there.
    God Bless,
    Texas

I just do this stuff as a hobby, so I don't have the experience of others. What I do for simple wooden signs is engrave the blank. Then spray a few light coats of lacquer as a sealer. When the lacquer dries, I spray a coat or two of the color used for the lettering. After the lettering is dry, I take a skim pass off the top with the planer. This leaves the engraving with a beautiful paint job that makes it look like I know what I'm doing.
    One of my favorite combinations is the shiny gold metallic paint on aromatic cedar. I have also put a sealer coat over the gold before planing and sanding. This allows me to stain the wood without messing up the fill color. A little walnut stain on the gold gives an antique look.
    Last edited by George Carlson; 09-14-2012 at 3:28 PM.

Thank you George, we'll give a try also.

You guys are just GREAT! zll
    God Bless,
    Texas

Very nice. I see you used the engraving feature. I didn't know to do that on my first few signs. Those chiseled corners really make it snap.

Poplar? Are you going to stain and glaze, or paint and glaze? I'd not use Poplar with just a clear coat... perhaps Cherry, Maple, Walnut, Oak...

I usually run a board through the wide belt sander before I put it on the router. That way I can get an exact thickness when setting up the material thickness in the program. And then the machining is where I want it to be...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain