Thread: Router dust collection ?

Router dust collection ?

Short version of the question, which works better dust collection box around the router or DC built into the fence, or do I need both?

I'm most likely going to mount a router onto my powermatic TS extension table. I am trying to decide if I should build a cabinet underneath and make it like the NYW router table, thereby enclosing the router in a box with a 4" dust port underneath. Alternatively, I can leave the router hanging exposed (I'll build shelves under the TS extension for general storage) and build dust collection into the fence?

Short version of an answer: both.

That's what I had set up when I still had my dedicated router table. ShopVac drawing from the inside of the cabinet and an extension of the hose going to the fence. Probably got 95% or more of the chips.

Now, I have my router in my tablesaw extension. There's a cabinet below the router and I built a box around the router inside the cabinet. In this arrangement, I have my dust collector connected only to the box below the router. It gets most of the chips.

One reason for the change in collection is I now have an Incra fence system that doesn't have a dust port. I could probably fabricate something, but I swap the fence when I have a special application like arched raised panels, etc.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Router table mod

Hi Tom, I'm still new to this forum but this is a mod i just made to my router table, (Hope this post works) you can see more shots here> http://community.webshots.com/script...umID=198633148 hope this helps
    Ray Morningside

As the others have said, both! I collect only from the fence, it seems to get most of it. However there is always dust down in the cabinet too. I would think of the two the fence would be better as the dust is being thrown at the fence.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thanks, but I can't see the link. It looks like you posted your private URL for editing the pictures. OTOH, I backed up to the root of the URL and did a search for "Ray Arnold" and some interesting pictures come up.

Tom, you need both ports ... one for the fence (about 2-1/2") and one for the router box (about 4"), assuming you have a 6" main duct to your router station. A lot of dust and chips are generated in a horizontal direction from the router bit. In the main, mostly dust finds its way down through the table to to router box, but lots of it.

Here is a good thread showing some layouts. Be sure to follow up on some of the links in some of the posts.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13841
    Bryan in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Look alive! Here comes a buzzard! -- Pogo, by Walt Kelly

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five. -- Groucho Marx.

Tom,

I agree that you need both. I hope my setup gives you some good ideas.

With underdraft dust collection at the fence, you can "set it and forget it" for most operations.

Another nice thing, even though I have no photo of, is that with a box similar to the one behind the fence to connect the bit and the dust collection opening, you can have above-table dust collection for routing operations without the fence (e.g. edge routing a curved piece using bit with bearing). Since my router table top is steel, I attach the box to the table top using rare earth magnets. If your router table top is wood, a few threaded inserts and T-knobs can achieve the same thing.