Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation on thin kerf blade

How thick is the material Mike, and what TS are you using?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The Freud Diablo Part# D0724X/A is a 24T ATB 7-1/4" with 5/8" bore and has a kerf of .059".
    It's also available in 40 or 60 tooth configurations. They usually can be had for about $15-20 each.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I have a full kerf Freud Glue line and a thin kerf Freud regular rip blade- LU87R010 24T.
    Honestly?
    For the first few times I used it, the regular blade left just as smooth a cut as the GLR.
    IIRC, I paid about $30 for it on one of Amazon's super sales.

I picked it up to save wear and tear on the GLR blade.

Since my ZCI and MJ Splitter are set up for the full kerf, I seldom use the thin kerf.
    I'm not really a fan of thin kerf anyhow. My Ridgid TS 3660 arbor/arbor washer is too rough on them. It's super easy to over do it and warp the blade.

My Infinity 10" TK does a good job. 24 tooth.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Thanks, Andrew. Are you sure you have that number correct. When I looked it up, it's a 60 tooth blade - not something I'd think of for ripping.

Mike
    Yes, 60 tooth. It rips 2" hardwood nicely. Leaves a very smooth cut,but you can't feed super fast. I hand feed at a moderate rate on a 3HP cabinet saw. Honestly, I could feed slightly faster with my 30 tooth full kerf rip blades but not worth it for the rougher cut.

Wow, $23 at Amazon is a good price. I got several 2 packs for $30 each from the Orange borg a couple years ago. I'm 61 years old so I hope it's a lifetime supply!
    I had one sharpened at our local saw shop. It cost $20 to sharpen and didn't cut quite as smooth so at $23 you can't go wrong. Obviously it's a great plywood and crosscut blade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    How thick is the material Mike, and what TS are you using?
    The material is 2" and the saw is a SawStop 3HP. I need to save as much of the wood as possible. I could try a bandsaw but getting a really straight cut with a bandsaw is tough and the wood requires more processing because of the saw marks. By the time I do all that, I can use a thin kerf on my table saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    The Freud Diablo Part# D0724X/A is a 24T ATB 7-1/4" with 5/8" bore and has a kerf of .059".
    It's also available in 40 or 60 tooth configurations. They usually can be had for about $15-20 each.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I like the width, but I have a SawStop and have to use a 10" blade.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Mike,
    I have a Forrest WWII thin kerf that I use if I want to cut grooves for thin splines to reinforce/decorate mitered corners in boxes. It has performed well in that use. I have not tried to do any thin kerf ripping wiht it. You might check out these http://www.totalsawsolutions.com/. I received info about these through email but never pursued one as I don't need thin kerf that often.

Jim
    That's an interesting blade, Jim. It should be for $185. But that's outside my price range.

Mike

Infinity's got a new 1/16" Laser TK 10" blade that's super, and I'm sure would do great for you......however it's ~ $160 on sale, so might also be out of your price range. Their standard 3/32" TK's like the Super General 010-045, and Combomax 010-150 would also do a super job, as would the Forrest WWII 30T 3/32" TK. Once you get below 30T, the cut quality suffers a bit....the better 24T TK rippers should still leave a glue line edge...just not as good as a 30T to 50T. Tenryu's got some ultra 0.079" TK's but I've never tried one.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-14-2012 at 1:39 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Having looked at your fine work I would guess you are making some type veneer or inlay. I would buy one band saw blade courser than what you usually use. Maybe three teeth per inch,which would be cheap and cut quickly. Sure you are good at using scrapers.

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions here. I decided to go with the Tenryu 10" 40 tooth, .079" thick blade. It seems like a good compromise. I've used Tenryu blades in the past and have been impressed with their quality. And the price wasn't too bad ($63 on Amazon).

I'll let you know how it works after I get it.

Mike

Blog Entries
    I have a Forrest sharpened Tenryu 48 tooth combo blade in the saw right now. I requires more horsepower than a rip blade, but the cut is shiny smooth. I have a freshly sharpened Forrest WWII that is in the carton that will do the same thing. I took a Frued out of the saw that is need of sharpening that will do the same thing whwn sharp. I'll probably send it to Forrest for sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions here. I decided to go with the Tenryu 10" 40 tooth, .079" thick blade. It seems like a good compromise. I've used Tenryu blades in the past and have been impressed with their quality. And the price wasn't too bad ($63 on Amazon).

I'll let you know how it works after I get it.

Mike
    I've tried what I think is the 0.111" kerf version of that blade....the RS25540. If you got the RS25540"U", I believe it has the same ATAF grind. It should work out fine...the RS25540 was a very good value blade that I thought was roughly comparable to the Freud LU86. Not quite to the level of the Japanese Gold Medal GM25540, but a good blade nonetheless. I'm confused about the price though...Amazon is showing the RS25524U (24T) for $63, and the RS25540U (40T) for $73....did you order the 24T by mistake?
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-14-2012 at 10:17 PM.

I picked up a couple of the skiny Freuds last time they were on sale on Amazon...work pretty well for me for all cuts. I used the "crosscuttish" style blade while mass cutting parts for my daughter's benches (darn SawStop had to be put into hotdog mode to make these cuts, what a pain).