Thread: Finally Finished! Octagon folding table top chessboard.

Finally Finished! Octagon folding table top chessboard.

It took a year for me to make this. As a novice, I learned a lot of what to do and what not to do when working with wood. I'm very proud of how it turned out. My husband loved it and had more of a reaction than I expected! He was overwhelmed and said "now I have an heirloom to pass down". So as promised, here are some pictures of the project I started with a deadline of 4 months for last Christmas but turned into a birthday gift for today. The main part of the case is Mahogany, the board is maple and walnut along with the inlay for the plaque, the little feet are purple heart and the Good and Evil inserts are Ash. I used and hard wax oil finish. The pieces however are ceramic, but took some time to hand pour, paint (3 coats of glazed per color) and paint the bases with real white gold and bright gold. I really enjoyed this project even with all the headaches and threats to turn it into firewood. LOL! It does have some flaws...but the guys in the wood shop says it gives it character
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michelle Halford; 09-16-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: New picture

He is a real lucky guy ,women have a lot more chores to do than men, but you made the time. Usually when I see a game set this good it has a tag on it saying it was made by a man doing a life sentence in prison. I love the work and the unique design.

There's a lot to be proud of there. Beautiful work!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yeah, I did have to work it in, but I managed. Thank you guys for the compliments!

Only a year? I think you made good time considering how much work is in this set. Great gift and well done.

The boys still haven't gotten to play a match on tgus board yet. Seeing as it's still in Germany and were in Georgia. Ugh!