Thread: Angel ornament

Angel ornament

This is the first ornament I've made this year. It's maple and walnut segmented with maple for the wings. The wings are just a small shallow dish with the notches cut out on a scroll saw and pinned to the back with a small walnut peg. The wood in the wings doesn't match that great but I didn't have any maple that didn't have the dark streak running through it. It's about 4" tall.

Walnut and Maple angel 1.jpg

It may not match Curt but I sure do like it. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

3. Nice work Curt! Up to posting a tutorial on this?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Looks great Curt!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Great piece of "little turning" Curt, I would love to hang this on my tree any day
    Pete

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Nice work Curt! Up to posting a tutorial on this?
    Roger, I didn't take pics for a tutorial but if you look on the WoodturnersAmerica site there's a how to for making a bell ornament that is basically the same process. For the angels I just make a head instead of a handle and add the wing. The wing is a small shallow dish with the notches cut out on a scroll saw. It has a hole drilled in the center and a small peg holds it on the angel's body.

I originally glued up a piece of wood from two pieces, one maple a little over 3/8" thick and one walnut a little over 1/2" thick, both 3" x 24". Cutting that into segments at a 22.5 degree angle I was able to get 4 blocks with 8 segments each. Two had maple on the outside and two had walnut on the outside. I made 3 angels but one block had a bad glue joint so I experimented with it and made a goblet. I also put a pic of the leftover scrap from the glue up to show how it gets cut.

IMG_0225.JPGIMG_0226.JPG

Beautiful work Curt! Always love seeing your ornaments! Nice looking goblet also! The stave construction sure gives it a cool look! Also like how you hollowed out the base of the goblet!

Looking forward to seeing more ornaments!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    Curt really nice will look great on your tree