Thread: Need help w/Sketchup

Need help w/Sketchup

I'm making a shadow box and trying to draw it out in Sketchup. I've got my faceframes with a 45 on the
    outside and a curve on the inside of these rails. Now I need to 45 miter the ends of these. I can't, for the
    life of me figure it out. I've tried to find tutorials on U Tube. I'd really like to find a video w/audio on how to
    do this. I don't want someone to do it for me, as I want to learn how myself. If the protractor tool is used,
    I'm not familiar on how it works.

Just to let you know I can miter a rectangle, but not these with curve and angles on both edges.

Thanks
    Anthony
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Draw a "cutting plane" at the miter angle passing through your molding. Then intersect that with the molding and delete the waste end.

I've done a tutorial showing this and I'll post it after I go fix an anesthesia machine.

Here we go.

From left to right:
    1. Molding
    2. Molding with cutting planes at each end. Note there is no edge where the cutting planes pass through the molding. This is because there is no intersection.
    3. Select all of the geometry, right click and choose Intersect Faces>With Selection. Edges are formed where the cutting plane passes through the molding.
    4. Delete the waste ends of the molding and the cutting plane leaving the mitered faces.

By the way, you'll need to do this with the component open for editing or you won't modify the component.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 09-18-2012 at 8:51 AM.

Dave, that should do it. Thanks so very much.
    If you have other tutorials, I'd like to view them.

Thanks
    Anthony

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Anthony, I have covered a lot of different SketchUp-related topics on Design. Click. Build.. You might have a look there and see if anything helps.

For what it is worth, here's an alternative way to create the components for your frame.

From left to right:

1. Create the entire frame using your profile and Follow Me.
    2. Draw miter lines across the flat surfaces (in this case the vertical ones) front and back to divide those surfaces. Follow Me doesn't break surfaces if they would be coplanar.
    3. Drag a left to right selection box around one side of the frame to select only that part of it. Hit G toCreate Component. Make sure to tick the little box for 'Replace selection with component' and hit Enter. Repeat for the top part of the frame. Delete the rest of the frame because you don't need it anymore.
    4. Use Move/Copy to copy the left stick to the right side. Flip it to create a mirrored version. (Don't make the mistake of rotating it end for end.) repeat for the top stick to the bottom. Frame is done.
    5. Exploded view of frame.

Thank you again. Your page will really step up my abilities in drawing with Sketchup.

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS