Thread: clamping 45's

clamping 45's

Are there any specialty clamps on the market for clamping a 45 (2 - 22.5* miters). I know that you can use cauls, the tape method, etc. But I was wondering if there is a more effective method or specific tool for the job. I was planning on running a lock miter but I need those seams tight, real tight.

there is blokkz, but i think you could make something similar for less.

I just use a pipe clamp and a quick clamp.

I use biscuits to align the joints. Then I take the pc and put it in clamps so that the boards forming the arrow in the up direction. You adjust the pipe clamp so the distance is correct for the two boards that form the angle. then use a quick clamp to push down on the point. You balance the two clamps so the joint is nice and tight.

Wider boards can be a pain because then you will need 2 quick clamps and a board to go between them with the point of the glue up in the center.

Normally I make my joints so they fit very well and then the tape method.

dunno what your specific project looks like..........in some instances, I am able to use these pinch dogs. They work well - but they aren't for every task, and you are leaving holes behind.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...838,47843&ap=1
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have a Bessey Corner Clamp that I picked up from the BORG several years back. The clamping action doesn't pull the joint together, so you really need three hands to use them effectively, but once you get the pieces clamped they hold very well.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Thanks everyone for the responses. A little background I should have put in my question. I will be joining two stiles/rails with a lock miter joint. Piece is about 6-8'. So it is a very long join.