Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyclone Buyer - I need help and advise please!!!

I've got an older JDS (think it is a 2000?) cyclone and I'd happily recommend them. Thing is build like a tank. I ran 6" S&D PVC pipe all over and I'm happy with the separation. Bin is a bit small and emptying it is fun if you don't want to breathe in all the stuff you have tried to avoid all at once. I put on a mask and do it in an exterior outside stairwell.

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the delayed response. I have the V-systems, 3HP model. I opted for the stand and the shorter barrel (35 gal). This gives it a total height under 90" so it would easily fit in most basement shops, although I am in a garage. This unit has a 6" main. I used 26ga aluminum duct work, all ordered through Oneida as well. They will help you with the planning. Be prepared to spend just about as much on the duct work as you do on the DC. It's shocking really. If you are OK with clustering your tools a bit, you can cut down on the number of drops and number wyes, as they really add up! For example, I have 1 drop that I swap a 10' of flex that move around from my lathe, router table, and SCMS (I also have over/under on my TS, and another run to my sanders/BS). In my dream shop, every thing would have it's own connection and it's all be under the floor, but for now it will do. I use the quick release pinch type clamps and they are pretty good.

I looked at a couple Grizzly DCs, and really liked the JDS, but at the end of the day, it was the recommendations from everyone else that convinced me I would be happy with the Oneida. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing negative to say about any of the other machines. I have no experience with them and have not heard anything negative about them. All I can say is that I do not regret getting the Oneida, or going up to the 3HP, even in my 2 car garage.

In a related note, I got in on the dylos group buy last year and turn it on when I go out there to just to keep an eye on how well I am doing at the dust extraction (although in the summer, I work with the garage door open, so all bets are off, there), but it does a good job. Sometimes, if I have been milling a lot of stuff, or doing a lot of sanding I'll disconnect all the hoses, open all the gates, and let the DC run for 10 minutes or so, if the dylos is to be believed, it cleans the place up in a hurry.

good luck!
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris Atzinger; 09-20-2012 at 11:36 PM.

I have a 2 hp Woodsucker, has the long cone, he only offered it in 2 hp, and has since closed up shop, but if I were starting over would get 3 hp due to using a planer to surface my own lumber. Also, my wide belt sander could benefit from increased cfm, although, I do not understand why Grizzly puts a 5" connection on both the sander and their planer.

just because the tool manufacturer has an undersized dust port does not mean you have to live with it - I upgraded my jointer, planer & drum sander 4" stock factory port to 6" before i turned them on for the first time. 6" astm2729 pvc pipe is pretty thin & can be shaped easily with heat (do it outside with a carbon filter mask as the fumes are very hazardous) to make adapters to your individual tools

I bought the 3 hp Oneida V system about a year ago. I didn't have a DC b4 so can't really compare it to anything but I am very happy with my choice. One of the selling features was that it is made in the US and I was able to speak with a knowledgable salesperson at the factory on the phone. I was left with the conclusion that there would be follow up service and help if neccessary although it wasn't needed. It took about 2 hours to assemble and it was in operation. Haven't gotten around to doing the duct work yet - still draggiong the hose around.... and yes, the ductwork is expensive. But.. what a pleasure it is to walk into a clean shop. Don't know if this helps. I'm sure there are other fine units out there.

Thank you to all so far the the generous input. This is a very difficult decision - there are so many different product to choose from. I would argue that this is one of if not the most "technical" purchases a woodworker makes...That said I am still gathering information to make a decision, so any additional comments (and pictures too) are still welcomed. Has anyone out there purchased any of the cyclone's from penn state industries by chance? Thanks again to all!!!

Glenn,

Ho do you go about cleaning the filter on that? Thanks!

Kyle, Penn State cycones are very close to Oneida and Grizzly in configuration so the separation is about the same. I don't know what gauge steel they use. The filters are very good, the motor is Asian. The Oneida motor is the best- Baldor- the cyclone design of the Clear Vue is likely the best separator. Decisions, decisions. Dave

I'm a very satisfied Oneida owner for many years. I've owned two (the first was a small one when my shop was tiny) and I picked up my current one from the factory after taking a tour of the facility. Mine is the equivalent of the 2/3hp "Gorilla" (predecessor) and my main duct is 7" out from the inlet to the first major branch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...