Thread: New CBN wheel..comments

New CBN wheel..comments

Well i broke down and got a CBN wheel,I have to say[keep in mind i've used it for a week] it does not seem to bring up an aggressive bur..has your exp. been the same? and if so how do you get around that ? or doesn't that affect you? It was easy to install,balanced perfectly...oh by the way i got the 180 grit. I'll wait for your replies...Thanks Rob

2. I have the 180 CBN wheel also...........I think it is a cut above anything else out there, and will last for years! I make light passes just to refresh the edge........especially for a finish cut, after I have done the roughing. I just bought a new Thompson 5/8V bowl gouge.........fresh out of the plastic tube, and the first thing I did when I got it home was to put it on the CBN wheel to make the edge more refined from the standard 46 grit wheel they are sharpened on.

The refined edge does not leave as large a burr..........but if looked at under a magnifying glass, I suppose it would be there, although just smaller and more refined.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Would the 80 grit cbn wheel be a viable option for raising a burr? Could the 80 grit also work well enough to sharpen other turning tools? I am currently and only have used a Tormek

If we are talking about the burr on a scraper, the 180 grit wheel makes an ideal burr for a finishing cut. It is a tiny burr, but allows a whisper of a shaving and is perfect for taking off those slight ridges from the gouge. Shear cutting with the scraper on edge is also improved. I have the 80 grit also, but really don't use it to put on a burr. If you want a larger burr on the 180 grit, upstroke it with a diamond hone. Enjoy you new wheel. You love it more as it gets broken in.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Perhaps my take on this is somewhat different, but I would think a "burr" would be more needed on a scraper and one can achieve that with a burnishing setup. For my use of gouges, I want a clean, sharp edge and the CBN provides that. I have not used the 80 grit, but suspect it is considerably more aggressive than the 180, and the 180 will remove metal MUCH faster than you realize.

Just saw Bob's comment and he has more experience with scrapers than do I, so follow his lead!

I agree with John Keeton about using a burnisher to create a burr.I mainly use a Tormek for sharpening and want a very clean sharp edge before creating the burr. I create the burr basically the same way that it is done on a cabinet scraper using a hard oval burnishing tool. The "burr" produced by a grinding wheel is fairly weak while a burr formed with a burnisher is very sharp and long lasting'
    Bill

Hmm, well, I get an excellent burr on my scrapers, perfect for heavy roughing, and for fine high angle shear cuts. I do push more into the wheel for this burr. They seem to be very heavy duty, lasting for a bowl or two for roughing. Most of the time my scraper burrs come from the 80 grit wheel, but I have used the 180 grit wheel as well. There doesn't seem to be much difference. The burr from the CBN wheels does seem to be a lot better than the ones from the standard Al O wheels, but it has been a long time since I have used one of them, like 8 years or so, can't remember exactly. I don't usually burnish, but if I do, I prefer the triangle burnishing tools for the card scrapers. A few light strokes will do fine. You want the burnishing rod to be just a few degrees more than the bevel (say, bevel at 70 degrees, then burnisher at 80 or so). If you really armstrong it like you can on the Veritas thing, you can turn the burr over like a wave that is breaking. Not good for cutting. I never used the hones for a burr, most of the time, not worth the effort, but I do hone off the old burr before grinding a new one.

Not sure about burrs on gouges. When touching up the edge, you just barely kiss the face of the tool, you do not really grind. This should produce a fine light weight burr. One thing about these wheels, they do break in, as in they are pretty coarse at first, but get more gentle after a bit, depending on how much you sharpen and turn.

robo hippy

Where did you obtain your CBN wheel?
    Dick Gerard
    AAW #00013
    "Close Enough Isn't; Good Enough Isn't; It's Only Wood!"

9. I got mine from D-Way tools............
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I got mine from d-way.

I got mine from D-Way.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

any difference if using a high speed or low speed grinder?
    U.S.A.F. Ret. MSgt 2006

Only on fast you want to sharpen your gouge. Slower may be less liable to remove metal faster than you want.
    Member Illiana Woodturners