Thread: Vinyl applicator

Vinyl applicator

I came across this while researching. Has anyone used a device like this?
    The frames are a bit expensive from them but I bet we could make one or
    use a screen printing frame.

Still new to the vinyl cutter so always looking for things to make my life easier.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWVlFJpoZSg
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Speedpresses have been fairly highly thought of ever since I've read about them. I think once you learn good application techniques, the need diminishes some, but I've read a lot of comments from people saying that they love them and they work great.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I agree, I could have used it back about 1993 when I first started and did a lot of small work, but it's useless on 5'x25' banners or 20' box trucks. When I was in practice I could apply a lot faster the old fashioned way, but it could be a big help for beginners.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

That's me the beginner! I do enough that it paid for my Roland GX24 in about 6 months so that's good for the little I have done.

Mosty, I do small office signs, but even lining those up without dedicated work space takes time. I am staying away from vehicles
    until I am more aquainted with the process. Have had a call to do a handful of windows with the "etched look" vinyl, it's ok, not as
    good as I wanted, maybe need to find another vinyl.

I have to start slow and work my way up. I can sell a bit of work for military logos and shields. I liked how basic registration worked.
    So as I get better I will explore a bit mor of that.. I'll probably by the starter set for 24", as it comes with 2 frames 24x36 & 24x72
    plus 3 rolls of tranfer and various tools to make it work. I think the for under $400 I can pay it of quickly.

I thought about just buying metal screen printing frames ($20) to see if I can make it work, sometimes I found it's best to buck up and get
    the right stuff.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Martin,

See if you can find a local member that does vehicles that will let you help in exchange for training, it's a great source of revenue with a lot of labor (profit). I will not do anything with the frosted glass vinyl, have turned down a lot of jobs. First, you cannot see the cuts to weed, though the brands with blue backing help some. Then unlike regular colors it's unforgiving, any imperfection in applying it shows up including a spec of dust under it, and any air bubbles that have to be
    nicked to fix do not self-heal like normal vinyl. Worse, though, is having to remove it if you mess up. I stopped doing it after a job where I had to completely cover two glass doors in a law office. Not worth it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Vinyl applicator

Hi Martin!

I have used the Speedpress applicator to make both signs and banners. They are a huge help if you work by yourself. Plus, they save on application tape.

Thank you,

Kristi

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I came across this while researching. Has anyone used a device like this?
    The frames are a bit expensive from them but I bet we could make one or
    use a screen printing frame.

Still new to the vinyl cutter so always looking for things to make my life easier.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWVlFJpoZSg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-24-2013 at 8:12 AM.

Martin,

I cannot comment on a speedpress but after struggling with vinyl I was pointed to a product called big squeegee. I cannot tell you how much my vinyl application skills improved using a couple of their tools. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied user. They have some demo videos on you tube.
    Epilog 45 watt, Graphtec cutter-plotter, Corel Graphics Suite X3 - X4, HP and Vaio computers, woodshop.

"Trust, but Verify"