Thread: bending to a curve

bending to a curve

I have 5mm acrylic to bend, which is no problem normally as i have a bending machine, but my client wants around 1000pcs with a curve, what is best way to do this that they should all be uniform?
    heat gun? jig? any help would be appriciated.
    thx

I have done a lot of standup signs where I had to bend acrylic or PVC and found that a wooden jig helps a lot, but with that thickness of acrylic I would still get a little bit of rolling on the ends of the bend. With PVC I used a heat gun rather than the strip heater and had better results, but that would take forever with acrylic.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I have done a lot of standup signs where I had to bend acrylic or PVC and found that a wooden jig helps a lot, but with that thickness of acrylic I would still get a little bit of rolling on the ends of the bend. With PVC I used a heat gun rather than the strip heater and had better results, but that would take forever with acrylic.
    i there anyway to easily produce large quanteties, i have a bender for straight bends but i really need to find something for curves?

Not without a specially built jig that has the heating strips in the right places. You can end up with a lot of wasted material trying to get enough of them that come out right. Placing in the oven will soften it enough to bend over a jig but may take 10 minutes each plus another 5 to cool.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green