Thread: cypress woodshop floor question

cypress woodshop floor question

I have acquired American Cypress boards that I plan to use to make a basement shop floor, over a concrete slab.
    1. What would folks recommend I use to finish the floor?
    2 Is there any particular resource that might be best dealing with how to prep the area and best prevent dampness/ water issues? I do recall an article in FWW a while back, that I will search out.
    Thank you,

--Bill
    Forest, VA

My repro. furniture scrapbook......... http://www.allanbreed.com/profile/williambrown

I used a product designed to protect wood flooring from moisture. It is a particleboard 24"x24" square that has black plastic cups all over the bottom of it that allow moisture to exist without reaching the flooring above it. I bought mine from Menard's but I have seen it in Home Depot as well. If you go with it watch for sales, I saved close to $2.00 per piece. I have Pergo on my floor and it has been down for around 2 years and I haven't had any problem so far. I don't recall the brand name but if you do a little searching on the Net you should be able to find it.
    David B

Check the National Wood Flooring Association installation guidelines. I found one link here..http://viridianwood.com/wp-content/u...Guidelines.pdf Obviously the moisture test is extremely important.

Thank you very much David. I was not familiar with this product and will look for it.

--Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Check the National Wood Flooring Association installation guidelines. I found one link here..http://viridianwood.com/wp-content/u...Guidelines.pdf Obviously the moisture test is extremely important.
    Thank you Lloyd. There's a tremendous amount of detail in this publication. Should cover most everything!

Still wondering about finishing cypress as a floor. Internet searches did not come up with much. Looks like an oil/ urethane product such as Waterlox is mentioned by a few. I suppose a tough polyurethane would work - perhaps a satin or satin/ semi-gloss mix. Cypress can have a nice reddish look that might benefit from a little dye first, although that's more work

--Bill

Blog Entries
    With cypress in a wood shop, does it even need to be finished?

Has it been kiln dried?

Cypress is a great wood and has many uses. Here is a mill here Gainesville that I have dealt with and I am very pleased with. This is their site and I'm sure that if you called them they would be very happy to tell you about the best ways and means of cypress: http://www.griffislumber.com/index.html
    Leo

For finishing I like the two component water born Bona Traffic. Great adhesion, no odor, and wears well. Easy to apply, I've even brushed small rooms and used a high quality roller on others. A full service flooring dealer should have access to the product although they probably won't stock it. The downside is it will cost you well over $100 per gallon.

Be careful that whatever you choose will not become slippery with the addition of sawdust.

I'd be hesitant with oil, that it'd gum with sawdust or become slippery and most film finishes (poly, etc.) will be slippery and prone to chip with time.

If the small and combustables can be worked around, I'd use a blend of 5-6 parts MS to 1 part oil-based poly. I'd flood it on and let it soak in for 20-30 minutes (keeping it wet) and then mop up and wipe off all I could get off. I used this technique on a cutting board and it did a great job of soaking in but not leaving a film finish. Three years later it's as good as new. Mine was easier, being end grain, but I still think you could get some poly to build "between the straws" of wood fiber without leaving a film on top.

Just my 0.02..
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I used Cypress for paneling in my shop and love the wood. However, it is kind of soft for a floor IMO.

I was thinking that too. It's possible he has some old reclaimed heart wood. If it is the new soft stuff I would make sure it's kiln dried,remove any sap edges ,and use a finish that is flexible.Maybe even paint it.Otherwise I'd be worried about some bugs showing up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I used a product designed to protect wood flooring from moisture. It is a particleboard 24"x24" square that has black plastic cups all over the bottom of it that allow moisture to exist without reaching the flooring above it. I bought mine from Menard's but I have seen it in Home Depot as well. If you go with it watch for sales, I saved close to $2.00 per piece. I have Pergo on my floor and it has been down for around 2 years and I haven't had any problem so far. I don't recall the brand name but if you do a little searching on the Net you should be able to find it.
    "DRIcore" is what you are describing . They have a website